Sodus Point Challenge

Ok fisher folks who would be interested in having a Sodus Point challenge fishing derby?

kinda late for this year to have a spring and fall challenge derby but we are thinking of having a fall derby this year and then a april and august derby next year.

The idea we are kicking around is similar to what Fairhaven has done in the past. We would like to do something to promote our little village and the great fishery we have in our back yard.

100% payout both via cash and prizes

We are probably looking at $50.00 per boat

2 day derby heviest score wins.

10 points per fish 1 point per pound.

no limit on # of people per boat ( obviously up to a safety standpoint)

5 fish limit - 5 biggest per boat, not 5 per person.

payout goes to the boat and its up to the captain and crew to divy up the $

charters and private boats compete together.

still thinking about the % payouts and "door prizes" and how to do the door prizes.

As far as the door prizes go I was thinking that each crew member from the teams submit their names and names are drawn so its not just the boat that is eligible for the prizes.

Who would be interested in this? any ideas? input? We are looking at August since there is the pro-am in July. If there is enough interest maybe we can do a spring and fall challenge next year so we have some time to get the word out.

If intersted post a reply here or feel free to shoot me an email or pm.

good luck and tight lines!

Reeltime,

I know that I would be in for the Challenge. It would be some good competition just from the local guys.....We have some great fisherman in that Sodus Bay area....At least one of the guys I used to mate for I know would do good in that Challenge.....I also have learned a TON from watching and listening to these guys over the years.........Woody.

Lee;

Sounds like a good plan... I know the Sodus guys would be a great help on setting this up. I think there should be a limit on the number of people per boat, Keep the rod count even. Not all of use have Super tankers. Count me in. I would also like to see some sort of event happen in my neck of the woods I-Bay.

Lee, this wouldnt be to start a new tournament trail to take the place of the Pro-Ams, would it? In talking with someone this weekend I hear they are trying to get one going in Oswego, the Salmon River is having one this year, and then there is the FH one. Thier intentions are to replace the Pro-Ams because they dont like the new format.

I hope this doesnt happen becasue it would divide the lake and the unity we have built up the past few years.

Yt,

I can tell you that the Challenge out of the Little Salmon River is by no means trying to take the place of the ProAms. We put this together for a friendly get together. I also know the Fairhaven Challenge is not trying to compete with Proams either, just another fun get together. Not sure about the Oswego,or the Sodus one either.

Rich

YT,

absolutely not, Its just a fishing for fun derby with a chance at a little $ and hopefully a way to help promote our fishery even more.

This derby is simply an inexpensive way to get as many people out for some fishing as possible. Thats why the entry fee is so little, it is a way to allow everyone to join in and try to win some cash.

If we get some new folks in town and they like it here it helps the local businesses and when they go home and talk about the area it helps via word of mouth which we hope also brings in more people.

not trying to compete or replace the pro-ams, thats why we are not doing them when the pro-ams are going on.

Sounds good guys! Maybe if I dont have any trips or tourneys you will see me down your way! Maybe Billy will find a way out of his wifes leash and we can tag team up on some of these! Just jokin Bill!

Excuse the rumor thing. I dont know how good the source was, but it sounded like the talk was mainly an Oswego thing.

Ok, here is what I can tell you. We(The Little Salmon River Challenge) Committee have a meeting this Sunday to pretty much finalize our Challenge. Some of the members from the Oswego Challenge will be at our meeting discussing the possibilty of making a mini cup type event with the ports of LSR, Oswego, and Fairhaven. Sodus was not talked about due to the fact that it just came up. Again, this is in the preliminary stage. If it does happen to be something that we can work out I will post it here and a few of the other sites that I am a member of.

Again, this has nothing to do with trying to compete with the ProAm, so please do not make it sound like that. Thanks Guys, I will be in touch.

Rich