Hot Lure: DW SS steelie dan, DW SS 42 second, NBK cheater

Trolling Speed: 2.0-3.2 sog

Down Speed: 1.8-2.5

Boat Depth: 100-160 fow

Lure Depth: rigger 55 feet, 10 color core, free slider on the rigger

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

I fished solo tonight for the first time on my new boat and fished only an hour and a half. It was the most intense fishing action I've ever had. Fish and bait were everwhere on the screen and they cooperated nicely. As soon as I dropped my probe rigger and found 44 degree water at about 90 feet down, I also dropped a cheater on the same rigger. Instantly fish on and boated on a DW SS orange crush (king around 5 pounds). I wound up putting out a ten color core and within 5 minutes another fish - this time my biggest steelhead of the year (16# on a Rapala digital scale) on a DW SS steelie dan. I continued to have fish hit the rigger and core and I managed another king (around 15#) after I moved up my rigger to 55'. I also managed to lose my biggest fish of the year behind the boat after it slammed my rigger and peeled off 250' on 12# mono. I had to put the pole in a rod holder to grab the net and that was it - lost right at the back of the boat. My last king was around 15-18# on the rigger, right at 8 PM as I was reeling in my other rod to put it away. I lost several other fish b/c I was having difficulty trying to "get the net ready" by myself. If anyone has any better methods for netting big fish "solo", please let me know.

Fish were extremely speed tolerant and seemed to like "changes" in speed the most. Honestly, it was the best hour and a half of fishing I've ever had, and I'm sure it's going to be a long time when I have an experience like this again. The fish were out of temp. tonight, were hitting hard and high despite the sun.

FWIW there was some nice green water out there.

Good luck to all,

- Chris

No pics and no camera on board gentlemen - and all fish were released. I honestly thought about mounting the steelhead, but I let her go to fight another day......

- Chris

Awesome report, Chris! Def a fast and furious action for you.

We went out yesterday morning 6 am to 11 am. Took my two buddies who never fought king in their life. We were Zero for Two. On our deepest rigger, the rod fired and I hooked up the fish and then handed over the rod to each rookie only to hear from them that theres nothing on the line.

I am very envious of your recent catches. Thanks again.

Also, when fishing solo. I have the net on the rail mounted rod holder handy so I would hold onto one rod with my right hand and net on my other hand. I would pick up the rod a bit and slide in the net under the fish. Not an easy feat.

Thanks Anthony for the net advice - I was really struggling getting the fish in the boat by myself...

It was awesome fishing out there last night - I felt like Tred Barta when he went solo tuna fishing. I was talking to myself, yelling at myself, and screaming out loud like a lunatic!!!

Take care,

- Chris

Sounds like a lot of fun. Any time you are catching fish around here in June before the water sets up you are doing well.

Chris, do you have an auto pilot? I have been toying with the idea for a few years. Sure would make solo fishing a ton easier. The bungee cord I use looks so bush!

Just fishin,

I put a Raymarine X-5 sport on the boat this year and it had been fantastic. Without it, I think solo fishing would be impossible as my boat has a ton of bow-steer. The unit has been great.

- Chris

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that great link - it was fantastic. You hit the nail right on the head - I think I'm so excited and had such a great day because of the sense of accomplishment fishing solo.

I'm going to keep working on my solo net skills - I was netting from the transom, not the side approach as you recommend and man was it tough to keep constant pressure on the fish. I also only fish 12# test with spoons on my riggers until the fleas show up, so I was hesitant to "lift" the fish by grabbing the line by hand.

Thanks again for the great read - I'm going to use your method next time...

- Chris