cape vincent 1000 islands

Hi Guys

I went to cape vincent from 06/12 to 06/14 the N Pike fishing was really slow we only caught 5 and the biggest was 25" we usually get 10 to 15 a day that are 25" to 35" oh well we still had a lot of fun. We also fished for perch a few times and brought in several nice buckets of them. The pike and perch filets taste great and the hang over is gone so all is well !!!

I just arrived at Fisher's Landing. This is our 3rd year coming up to the 1000 Islands. I'd like to figure out the Pike, as we do OK for smallies. I hear that Eel Bay is a good spot. I'm currently outfitted with bucktail jigs and yamamoto twister tails.

Could I get some advice from a seasoned pro like you?

I'm headed to Angel Rock Cottages near Carlton Island in the morning until Saturday. We'll be trolling for pike and walleye, and prob. do some bass and perch jigging when the troll gets slow. If you see a 15 ft. white aluminum Lowe, say hi and have a beer with us! Anyone have a report for the area? Also this is the first year we're trying for eyes so any info about the best ways to go about it would be appreciated too!

I'll be next door at burnham, look for a 16 foot mirrocraft and we'll have beer, won't be out as much as i like cause bringing the wife and twin two year olds. More of a family trip then a fishing trip. I'll get out in the am for sure though.

Com

I usually run mag size salmon spoons I like NBK and any black and white color works well also. I like putting a red eye on the black and white spoons I think the last bunch I ran where the fish lander brand. I put a 4 oz trolling wieght 4 feet ahead of the spoon and troll 2.8 to 3.3 mph surface speed. I look to run near drop offs in 18 to 30 feet of water sometimes deeper later in the summer just let it out slow and keep it from contacting the bottom and pay attention to your fish finder the bottoms change fast. If your not getting hit start searching with the fish finder until you get some good marks. If you dont have a gps with depth on the map then buy the fishing hot spots maps to get you close to areas to start trolling in. I think having line counter reels helps alot when trolling with the wieghts but if the water is clean of floating weeds I will also run spinning equipment with jr thunder stick deep divers in the hot perch colors with succes. Dont be afraid to run some of the larger floating rapals in black and silver and black and gold as well. Any way that is my N Pike program and it works pretty good most of the time when it does not we will switch to large bass minnows and drift we usually catch large perch, sm bass and some decent pike this way as well in the same areas.

Good Luck I hope this helps

PS I dont do it but I know people that run lead core line with very good results as well.

Gene,

Thank you for the detailed post. I'm a pretty avid weekend walleye fisherman on Lake Erie so what you described makes sense and is quite familiar to me. I left 90% of my walleyegear at home, including my trolling rods and spoons and cranks.

I ran up to TI baitstore and bought a couple spoons and cranks. I'm going to give it a shot here this afternoon. I will report back...I'll be using my spinning gear.