moor sub-troll 900

I've been fishing the finger lakes for about 25 years and now a couple "friends" of mine have turned me into a full blown Lake Ontario salmon freak!!!! Anyways, after a few thousand $ in tackle and boats I think it's time to invest in a downspeed and temp. Does anyone have any experience with the moor sub-troll or any other unit? All good and bad reviews or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.....

Guest ReelDiel

imo...moor ST's are the best. built in buffalo, years of expierence and top notch customer service. i also like the analog dial real time readings. my 2 cents

I've fished with both the Sub-troll and the Depth Raider, both are good. I opted for the Depth Raider mainly because it has a digital readout, smaller probe and smaller display unit. There's a lot of discussions on this, and other fishing forums that are worth reading if you want to research all available options; Sub-troll, Depth Raider, Fish Hawk, Cannon Speed/Temp etc..

Too many pro's & con's to list for each and a whole lot of technical info. as to why one is "better" than the other. DAN

I've had a Moor for several years now and love it. I've also heard good things about the Depth Raider. To be honest, I really like the red analog needle of the Moor even though the display does look a bit dated compared to the newer Depth Raider. Either one will work great for you.

another vote for the subtroll!!!!

theres a bunch of posts discussing speed and temp units

on this board. look under "this old boat" or do a search. you should

be able to find all the info you need.

Turp, I have not used the sub troll or the depth raider before. I have both the Fish hawk and the cannon speed and temp on the boat. I already had the cannon when I bought a different boat that had the fish hawk. I strongly believe that once somebody gets "One" you will never fish without one again. I LOVE the Cannon. It gives you temp/speed/light % at an EXACT DEPTH. None of the others gives you all that info. The speed with the digital reading is the best. I have trolled and not had a fish hit for hours. Speeding up even one tenth of a MPH has made all the difference. I never use the fish hawk, the speed jump back and forth too much to do any good. But I have had probe issues with the cannon. :? They sent me a new one pretty quick.

• 1 month later...

I have a FIsh Hawk on my new boat (it came with it) and I wish like CRAZY that I had my Moor back! My Moor was dead-reliable and went thru one battery per season. I've already been through 4 batteries on my Fish Hawk this season. I've also heard very good things about the Depth Raider.