License Fee Increases Approved For 2009-2010

Unfortunately, the new license fees were approved in Albany, NY, last week. The new fees will be in effect for the purchase of all 2009-10 licenses beginning August 17, 2009.

For a newspaper article about the fee increases see this link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other ... 02863.html

For a summary of the Fishing License Fees (taken from NYSDEC’s website) see this link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html

Fishing License Fees (2009-2010 License Year)

Please note that the age qualification for a reduced fishing license has been raised from 65 to 70.

Resident License Type Fee

Senior (70+/Military Disability) $ 5.00

Annual Fishing $ 29.00

7 day fishing $ 15.00

1 day fishing $ 5.00

Includes Fishing:

Sportsman1

$ 47.00

Super Sportsman2

$ 88.00

Conservation Legacy3

$ 96.00

Non-Resident License Fees (2009-2010)

Non-Resident License Type Fee

Annual Fishing $70.00

7 day Fishing $ 35.00

1 day Fishing $ 15.00

Super Sportsman2

$ 250.00

As I made mention before, I will pay what they want me to as a non resident. But I know of some who simply won't or can't afford it. Having said that, they acted fast enough on this. Wonder if they will now look into letting the trollers of the lake use the 3 rods we have been asking for as well? Whats the chance of that happening as quickly? Some times less is more, but it still would be nice to be able to use that 3rd rod on occasion, esp when there are only 2 on board. - Duane

FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE 65 TO 70, YOU CAN BUY A SPORTMAN'S LIFETIME LICENSE FOR $50. OR IF YOU THINK YOU MIGHT MOVE OUT OF NYS BUT MIGHT COME BACK TO FISH OR HUNT, MAKES SENSE TO BUY A LIFETIME LICENSE. BUT, DO IT BEFORE THE NEW LICENSES ARE AVAILABLE IN AUGUST.

C'mon, raising the out of state fee from $35 to $70 is going to make people stop fishing? I dont' think so. Most people spend more than that $35 extra in beer each day on the water ;) Seriously though, fishing isn't exactly cheap with gas, dockage, etc. I don't think the annual will hurt too much. I wish they'd lower the 1 day nonresident to $5 as well though to help increase the amount of people who come to NY to "try" fishing Lake Ontario.

Nick

I normaly buy a nonresidend licence for several peaple including myself my wife and inlaws when you buy that many licences it makes it a lot more expensive (i buy the inlaws so my wife is a lot more willing to to let me spend the money to drive five+ hours to get there) i think that this rate increase will affect the amount of licences bought

I normaly buy a nonresidend licence for several peaple including myself my wife and inlaws when you buy that many licences it makes it a lot more expensive (i buy the inlaws so my wife is a lot more willing to to let me spend the money to drive five+ hours to get there) i think that this rate increase will affect the amount of licences bought

wow that's a lot to buy. Have them buy their own :) I do understand some people with large families (aka 5 kids) may have a bigger issue with this.

Nick

I bough a camp in Oswego to keep the cost of going out there down so now i pay property taxes and still have to buy a nonresident licences think i'm getting ripped off but we don't get that kind of fishing in New Hampshire so i think it is still werth the trip

C'mon, raising the out of state fee from $35 to $70 is going to make people stop fishing? I dont' think so. Most people spend more than that $35 extra in beer each day on the water ;) Seriously though, fishing isn't exactly cheap with gas, dockage, etc. I don't think the annual will hurt too much. I wish they'd lower the 1 day nonresident to $5 as well though to help increase the amount of people who come to NY to "try" fishing Lake Ontario.

Nick

Nick I can assure you that it will have some not buy their out of state license. Wait til you start to have a family and then tell me that statement 10 years down the road. I have been blessed in that I can afford to buy at any expense. I know of some of my friends and others who can't afford the almost doubling in price. And they simply won't go unless someone springs for the additional cost. I still feel that a fishing license is a good buy. Don't question that. But to say that it won't effect some plans is ludicrous I.M.O.--Duane

I can't agree more with Duane. I will spend the extra money for myself and in a few years it will cost me $140 instead of $80 when my son will have to have one. I am sure it will hamper those that fish with me on 2 different weekends of the summer. :@:@

Seems everyone has a hand on your wallet, lately. The tougher the times the harder they hit you over the head.....When did your wages ever go up 75% in a years time?

When I graduated college and went from working at Home Depot to an engineering firm :clap:

Everyone's point is well taken. I do believe it will be more of a burden on some people, but I remember when gas was over $5 a gallon at marinas.... that was a much larger impact on the wallet than a $35 increase in fishing licenses... and yet the bay and lake always seemed to be pretty busy still.

I guess I just believe that anyone who owns a boat has the spare $35 per year, simply because being a boat owner is NOT cheap. Now those friends that come up a couple weekends out of a year... yes I totally understand that they may not want to pay the extra $35. I don't have much pity on people who want to fish on my boat though that say they don't want to pay the extra $35... I tell them by not taking a charter they're saving $400 a DAY. And I usually don't ask for gas $$$.

Now with all that being said, I can't agree more with Carl's point. If this money is being spent on things other than improving fisheries, it's a ludicrous tax. Perhaps we should all show up at the courthouse in albany one day with our gut buckets and simultaneously dump down the large stone staircase? Ya know, boston tea party style.

Nick

Gain strength in numbers and begin pressuring Albany. The marine industry is beginning to get taken advantage of..... Two Months ago a bill was passed by Governor Patterson and the rest of the Democrats to increase boat registration fees as of August 1, 2009. Three size catagories exist but I will give you an example: 16' - 26' the fee goes from $36.00 $45.00 and the surcharge goes from $10.00 - $12.50. That sits well with me except all additional funds will be directly deposited into the Highway and Bridge Trust Fund of New York State. I would like to see the additional funds directed towards municipal dockage, ramps, access parking areas or even any roads or bridges within 5 miles of a municipal marine access location. This would still put construction companies to work while at the same time helping the people that gave the money.

We at Krenzer Marine are active members and donators of BIA (boating industries association of central New York) and the Empire Marine Trades Association. The ESTMA is the state wide association that that all reginal associations (BIA or Rochester area marine dealers association or Buffalo Marine trades association) support. We as dealers are asked to become members of the local associations that we sell boats in, we pay memberships and also unite as one force to fight for the rights of our customers and selves.

I go to Albany as a ESTMA member every year in the Spring and tell elected officials (at group meetings set up by the ESTMA) that my customers will not stand for some of these crazy proposed bills. We did not know about the fishing license fee increase (our lobbiest didn't have it on his top five list) so we didn't push the topic, we had and have others that appeared more important at the time.

I inform the Sodus Point Charter Association of the important topics I hear about and they try to generate support.

My advice, watch for state proposals that will get into your pockets. They are going to creap up on the marine user, get passed and you may never get them changed back.

I will try inform this site of topics I hear about (I asked my town superviser to request road and bridge money for lake road leading into Sodus Point) and recommend ways to pressure your elected officials.

In closing, snowmobiling in New York State was closed on State trails 3 or 4 years ago. Snomobilers united, they now have 15 - 20 times more money on reserve with their lobbiest to fight crazy bills.

Tim Habecker

Krenzer Marine.

I believe this is just the start for the state of new york and its great leadership.New York is following in the footsteps of californa.Soon NY will claim bankruptsy.When is enough, ENOUGH???? They raise spending by 9% in a recession. 3 men in a room decide the amount of spending and the fate of this state. We need to vote OUT these people and have turm limits.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Carl asked where the extra money will be going. According to the DEC:

Why are the fees for hunting, fishing and trapping licenses being raised?

The license fees are being raised to generate more revenue for the Conservation Fund. For the past two years, there have been insufficient revenues generated from sporting license sales to cover the same level of fish and wildlife management and law enforcement that the Conservation Fund used to support.

Additional funds for the "Conservation" fund is a good thing.

The major problem I have with it is where is the accounting for the money????? Take a look at this article. Even the gov't doesn't know where it's being spent.

http://www.nyoutdoornews.com/articles/2 ... news02.txt

I add fishing up to only a couple million.

Fishing is only one and a very very small part that is funded with the Conservation fund:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administrati ... ettest.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administrati ... budget.pdf

The conservation fund paid for that million gallon manure spill on the East end a couple years ago. The farmer got fined peanuts. Guess who's paying for "Brownfields" & remediating all the polluters?

C.O.s caught 1,000 people without licenses last year. What was the fine? $50 each? Why isn't there a minimum of 10 times the license fee with a surcharge that doubles it? (something like moving violations on automobiles) As far as I see it, the State took the easy way out & stuck it to the law abiding people again.

If the state would get their heads out of their butts with the bottle bill, we could all fish for free and have more than enough to double, even triple the funds spent on fishing, hunting & trapping. (The money left over from people that didn't return their bottles DID NOT go to the Conservation fund as it was supposed to. The state let the bottle distributors keep it & that's what the political fighting is about again!)

Tom B.

(LongLine)