Shark Downrigger balls ?

I love my Shark 20lb'ers, almost no blowback down to 200'!

Yeah, that is great! I couldn't believe it when I ran them. STRAIGHT down fishing 200' down on the cable. 15's are all the average joe needs. Check out the 13lb Ridgeback Rattlers too if you plan on fishing the top 100'.

I love mine too, and Mark I feel your pain..I lost my first chrome 15#er earlier this season....My crotch caught the handle on the scotty( :$ ) and sent the shark too fast into the water and snap....did manage to keep my brand new subtroll probe though!! Tank

Bigjon brutes can handle a lot more than 20 lbs. The factory told me that they had to go up over to forty pounds to start to slow the rigger down with the 4' boom. I ran my 20 lb sharks in 4 foot waves with no boom problems, the only problem I had was controling the weights in the rough waves moving the boat around so much.

Yankee when you use the 20lb sharks are your scotty booms extended all the way out? I have two 20lbs just waiting for confirmation that the scottys hold up.

Yup, we had the extended all the way out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 15# chrome shark and like the improvement in blowback on my probe rigger, but don't see much improvement in fish hits vs. the 12# cannon ball.

I was looking at their website and they suggest spoons 3-4 ft behind the shark, and to not use a flasher behind the shark.

What distance behind the shark works best for you guys? Flashers/dodgers?

thanks!

JAM

I've run LJ dodgers, echips, and spin docs all behind the sharks with great success. Usually I run them anywhere from 5' to 25' behind the ball depending on what the fish want (I usually start with one close behind and one back a ways and see which fires first). If running real close behind the ball, I also stack a spoon on a fixed cheater 10' above that usually gets nailed if they don't like the dodger combo.

Also, Yankee Troller and Iceman, what pound cable are you running on your riggers?