Temperature Probe?

Looking for a good temp. probe the only one that I've found that thats fairly reasonable in price and goes deeper than 50ft. is the fish hawk 520 does anybody know of any other options other than the depth raider I cant afford to spend that kind of money at this point :( Thanks in advance .

Tom

Quick question on probe set-ups...

We have always hooked our probe to the coated cable, and placed the ball 1 foot underneath the probe. We have always thought with this set-up a stacker release, placed above the probe should be used, because running a release off the ball could interfre with the probe... is this true? The pinch pads tend to wear the coated cable.

Raider - Putting the release on the ball will increase drag on the ball hence more blowback. Also when lowering the unit, when the probe is out of water, you may encounter a revolving probe tangling your line. I've found release above the probe works best for me.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Quick question on probe set-ups...

We have always hooked our probe to the coated cable, and placed the ball 1 foot underneath the probe. We have always thought with this set-up a stacker release, placed above the probe should be used, because running a release off the ball could interfre with the probe... is this true? The pinch pads tend to wear the coated cable.

Never had an issue with interference and, yes the the stacker release can scratch the coating on the cable but would you rather not run the second rod?

Tight Lines,

Steve 8)

You should check glanger.com, swap meet section, many used fishhawks and moor subtrolls to be found. If you are looking to dial in downspeed and temp the probe is the only way to go. However you could use a wire rod set up as a thumper rod and watch the tip for speed. I believe you rig a Juhr Jensen size 0 dodger with a fly behind a 1 lb. ball. This gets lowered down the chute to desired depth for instance 75'-125' and as the dodger rotates the tip of the rod will thump thump thump. Perhaps someone more familiar with the rigging and presentation can chime in as to how much thump you want you thumper rod to thump.

• 1 year later...