Downrigger releases with a Moor or DR

Hey guys, just hooked up the new DR and boy does it look good hanging there on my Scotty! I did notice that I kept the Blacks release right above the ball like usual. Will this be OK? Or do you think the fishing line might get caught up in the DR probe?

I saw a Roemer release set above the probe, that's a moveable clip with a release kind of like a blacks or dubro, permanently attach the probe with crimps (and that horseshoe thing that I can't think of the real name for)and use the 130c 3M tape and wrap it right. You get a better watertight connection when done like an electrician would do it. You actually use that tape opposite of what you would think. Tape from outside of the roll , stretching it until you get a slight color change, I guess and overlap 50% of each lap. Also it's a good idea to tape it up with weight attached to ensure good metal to metal connection. There have been good posts here before the spammers, and at GLA.com, I even ran ST900 with the probe direct to a blacks with no tape and still had readings to about 100'. However Steve Weiner had the set up I speak of with the Roemer, and he showed me his set up, clean, watertight, and with the Roemer you could run the lures 6" or 6' from the ball and the probe, Roemer also makes the Liberator which can be used for stacking, or MUP rigs. http://www.roemerrelease.com/Release1info.htm

http://www.roemerrelease.com/prod01.htm

Yankee I use a blacks that goes on the line like a slider right above my SNT but then I used a scottys auto stop bead and put it in the middle of the clip and one on top and the releas won't move I like that better than putting any kind of crimp on the cable I don't want any kind of a kink so the cable will have a week point and I used it all last year down to 130 feet down and never had it slide up the cable.there was a post along time ago on a sub troll that you could take the probe off and it worked great acording to the poster.I looked for it but it was lost in the crash last year.You should be all set this year to kick some butt :lol:

Rick, release above the probe, I have my blacks attached above a snap swivel with a sleeve top and bottom of the blacks and yes I can get reading down 100' no problem, I just put the tape around the snap up the wire and liquid electrical tpae around the rest of the metal on the snap.That way you can take it off for safety or if your in shallow.

The blacks release inline above the probe post was from Longline w/pics, that's how I had my DR set up before the move to electrics and how I plan on rigging it back up ... soon.

It's basically a piece of the plastic nozzle extension (from a WD40 can) slid up over the cable with the blacks release slid over it. A crimp from a standard electrical connection is crimped on in the middle of the release just enough to hold the release. The release spins on the plastic piece no problem. This is all done before terminating the cable and hooking up the probe.

Never had any problems with it and, even with the probe rigged as removable, never lost signal down to 120'. Great set up!!

DAN

I'm gonna have to check when I get back up to my boat again, but I could swear that I have my blacks run just above the ball (below the probe) like I do on all my other riggers. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see why you need to make special rigs to put your release above the probe when all you really need to do is clip it to the leader below the probe and then on the ball.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I really can't remember where I have it. I can tell you this..however I have it rigged, I've never had a line tangle in my probe.

You can use the dubro release, almost identical to the blacks, except you can unscrew the halves and re-assemble it around the cable. The Scotty pins work great to stop the release from sliding up the cable and are adjustable.

my release is below my st900 and ive never had a problem w/ tangles. my probe is detachable (and yes it still works 120'+ down) so i guess if i had a problem occur i could just attached the probe to the ball and put the release above it in a matter of seconds. keep it simple

Billy - There’s no harm in putting the release below the probe. Probably depends on where your riggers are mounted & your technique for attaching the line. (I.E. pull the ball in with a lanyard, swivel rigger to the side of the boat, etc.)

However I have had tangles when the probe occasionally spins above water in a decent chop when I’ve attached release below the probe. I swivel rigger to the side of the boat where I can easily reach it. I’m not coordinated enough enough to swivel the rigger back into position and lower it without spin. Doesn’t take much to nick light line. Above the probe, I’ve never had that problem running solo, even in a decent chop.

If you use any release that can rotate on a coated cable, it’ll wear thru the coating real fast which is why I figured out that trick with the spray tube on 150 Lb and wire insulation on the 210 Lb stuff. With a wear spot from a Black's on 150 Lb cable, I lose signal about 65-70 Ft down.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I have my Sub-Troll set up so I can take it off. I use a Blacks release at the end with the snap to un -hook the probe then the cannon ball under the probe. When I stripped the coated wire for hook up I only stripped as little as possible. After I had every thing connected I used liquid tape on every thing except where the Blacks release comes in contact with the down rigger cable. I get a good signal from 0' to 100'+ have had it down 160' a few times and had a good signal there also. I have been running it this way for the last three years.The wire that came with the Moor was not worth much the coating came off very easy since I changed to another brad with a clear coating I've have very good luck with it. Just so much easier at the end of the day to unhook the probe and put it away.

• 1 month later...

I recommend using the lighter cable provided with the DR to attach the ball. I lost a 13 pound ball at the Niagara bar this year but not my probe. WHEW! I got lucky. I have rigged mine like Billy v's and have not had an issue. I would try it and see before I monkeyed with changing it up YT