How many copper lines do you run?

I just invested into a copper set up. I have been hearing that you can run it off your planers. I know alot of people running it down the chute too. How many copper rods do do you usually run at one time? I know it's the way to go in when things heat up , just by the radio chatter, but I don't want to be crossing my rigger and dispey line with the copper line.

The main problem you will have w/ multiple copper lines is between each other. I run 150' and 200' off inlines, but find that 300' and up are better off out on the big boards or down the chute because the longer coppers pull the inlines kind of close in to the boat. If you are going to run a copper down the chute w/ copper out on the boards, set the chute rod last. If you have a copper out to each side, you might want to think hard about sending one down the chute, you can't turn very tight and things can get pretty congested behind the boat w/ a fish on. Gambler has provided me w/ most of my info on running copper, perhaps he will offer his help on this. If you are going to run 1 copper setup down the chute you really don't need to worry a lot about tangling w/ riggers or dipsy lines. Be prepared to stick the chute copper up in the arch or use a longer rod or make a pike float setup to keep the chute rod out of the way of fish being brought in at the stern.

Gottabite,

I run 2 off of Otter boats. On a rare occasion, I will run on down the chute. When you rig the copper, you don't have to worry about tangling dipsy and riggers if you let it out slow and keep the boat straight. I rig my coppers and send them out on the boards over the dipsy with no problems.

Gambler,

I would have to run the of my OSP boards. I hope they could handle the weight. I have one complete set up know and am looking for another deal out there. I just need another reel large enough to handle it. The Tekota's a bit pricey for me right now, but would use one down the chute until I can get the other. Do you have any luck using it now or is it better to wait until the thermal cline is set up? Let me know.

I use my coppers all season. I have different lenght coppers for different depths. I run a 100,200, 250, 300, 350, 400, and a 500. The 300 and 400 have been my most productive over the past 2 seasons. When the thermalcline sets up better, it is a little easier to figure out what coppers to put out. Don't be afraid to run coppers out of temp. both warm and cold.

I use my coppers all season. I have different lenght coppers for different depths. I run a 100,200, 250, 300, 350, 400, and a 500. The 300 and 400 have been my most productive over the past 2 seasons. When the thermalcline sets up better, it is a little easier to figure out what coppers to put out. Don't be afraid to run coppers out of temp. both warm and cold.

GB,

We were running a 200', 275', and a 300' last sunday one on each planer board and one down the chute trolling in a big figure 8.

I have sold my tekotas because I could not get them to last a season without repair, I had a 700 and a pair of 800's and 5 or 6 600lc's. You can get a better reel without spending the long dollar. A reelly nice one for 200' is the Okuma Solterra 15L Level wind and lever drag. The lever drag is sweet for letting out the copper at a measured speed and you won't ever have a breakoff from your drag being too tight.

You can also get away with many salt water non levelwind reels, you may be able to pick these up at a reasonable price. I have been using some non levelwinds for several years now and have not run into a problem with the line spooling properly. That is with inexperienced fisherman on the rod most of the time. I figure if you can catch a 150 tuna on a Titus 55, I can catch a 25 pound king on it. I will let you know how the Titus works out it is new this year with 600' on it.

Good luck,

CC

I got a sweet deal on Okuma Convector 55W which is a saltwater reel and will be able to handle to copperline, backing and leader. I am not and Okuma fan but it will get me in the game. Although I caught fish on lead core , I also had it break off two weeks ago with a vicious hit, Granted it was only 12lb LC line but I never had a chance to play the fish and the line overall it seemed flimsy. I was just concerned about running too many coppe lines and tangling with my downriggers and dipseys. I plan on running 2 300' lines off each side. Just looking for another deal on a reel right now. I have the rod and the copper and backing, just have to find the right deal on the reel.