Any advice for Ontario Smallies?....Hedges?

I haven't been out for smallies off of Hedges in a number of years but I got a buddy coming into town and I thought I'd try to get him into some of the action that was so awesome before the goby infestation. I understand that live bait on the bottom becomes goby central but does anyone have any advice on the smallie action out there? Is it even happening this time of year? Thanks folks. I haven't been out in a few weeks but a few more days and I hope to be sharing stories of my nighttime Walleye excursions on I-Bay on a regular.

If you stay away from live bait then the gobies wont bother you so much. jigs and casting sticks works great but trolling with cranks and sticks also works well.

I have had good luck in the past trolling teardrop crankbait crayfish imitations on the bottem in 15-25 fow with inline boards and flatlines. Just keep checking your lures for zebra mussels and weeds and you should be able to pick at em all the way to bear creek if you want to go that far.

Let us know how you make out

admittedly this is second hand info, and similar to what has been said before; but from what I've been told, the main difference will be that the smallies are holding deeper due to the clearer water the zebras have created. dont be afraid to go as deep as even 30 ft.

Bosco,a tub jig with a 1or1.5oz.weight in it will get you to the bottom if the wind isn't to strong. If you have an electric trolling motor you can use it to slow you down. White is good also. There right about smallies going deep,I've marked them on the FF on the bottom in 90fow and caught them while fishing for salmon.

Yeah....I'm probably inclined to jig for them. Something about trolling....sort of like dredging for fish.....that diminishes the enjoyment of the sport for me. Looks like Friday....weather permitting.

I haven't been to Hedges since last year so this info is old. I did nothing between 10-60 ft last early August except Gobies. Headed to Forman Park and it was the Hedges of old. Minnows and soft shells 15-25 ft and 2-3 lbers and an occasional 4-5lber. You can run from Iron Bay in 20-30 min depending on water or even put in at Bear Creek.

Guys dont forget this is still June and the waters cold. Some are still spawning no doubt. I wouldnt go too deep just yet. 5-20 should be about right but mix it up if it doesnt work.

Went out Sunday just east of Bear Creek, and had a great morning. Smaller fish in around 10-15' but real nice smallies at 15-30. Trolled firetiger and perch colored jointed shad raps and minnow raps. Minnow raps really did the damage on the larger fish. Good Luck.