NEW Fishhawk

I am using the new X4 Fishhawk and I like it a lot. I haven't had any problems with it so far. It does give you more info than the Depth Raider (surface speed & temp) but the Depth Raider is an excellent probe and I think you would be happy with either of them.

Brian

I bought the DR last year. The new X4 was not available at the time. I am completely satisfied with my DR and just changed the probe battery 2 weeks ago which lasted me the season 08, but that is based on usage so if you go every other day for a for hours at a time it would probably not last a season like mine did. Good luck with either S&T units help you alot. IMHO.

MT,

You will need to replace your triducer and power cord. I have had the X4 since the first week of April, still on my first set of batteries, still working like the best speed temp probe I have ever owned!! Buy it now don't waste any time on the water with out it!!

CC

I installed a whole new X4 system a couple weeks ago including the display and I'm still using my old 840 triducer and original power cord. Works great with the new system. In fact I heard that the old style (Airmar) triducers are better than the new (Chinese lower cost?) triducer that comes with the X4. I've had the new mini probe down to 200' and it maintains rock solid readings. Still on the 1st set of batteries too. Hard to believe we all suffered so many years with the old 840's. Hope this helps.

-Steve D

Thanks for all the info. but I have to ask what's the need for the surface transducer? I really hate to drill a few more holes in the boat when I'm really looking for the breaks and down speed anyway.

You need the triducer to receive the RF signal broadcast by the probe. Getting the surface speed/temp is a bonus. With the old 840, the surface temp used to give you something steady to look at when the down temp was jumping around or not working at all! Nowadays, most fishfinders have temp, and people use GPS SOG for topside speed. It's just an extra reference point really. Kindest regards...

By the way, Cap'n Carl, are you going to be posting your weekly exploits to your web site the year? I always enjoyed reading your fishing reports from the Point.

-Steve D