I second what Stan said - as soon as I find 42 degrees, I park my lowest rigger 5-10 below that.

I typically park my second rigger 10 feet above that, and change it depending on marks on my graph or based on the bite.

- Chris

I have 3 riggers on my boat. I find 38 degree water and work up from there. My probe rigger isn't my deepest rigger generally. My corner riggers are. The probe gives too much blow back to the cable. The less cable out equals less blow back. That said I make sure its still in the strikezone.

Mickey Finn

I for got to pass this on as well, When I get to where I want to start fishing, I will come to a dead stop and get my temperature reading. I have found that , by doing this it eliminates all blow back and get a more true reading . Then I can adjust from there. I also run 15lb Down rigger weights to help stop blow back

Untill July they can be anywhere. Once the lake stratifies I will set the probe in 54 degree water then fish one below and one above it. While summer kings will be in that colder water the bait is usually in that 50+ degree water and feeding kings are easy to catch. I am lacking is the skill required to catch the deep cold fish so I hedge my bets on the high hungry ones.

CC

what he said( CB ) start at 55 deg and stagger down for salmon or up fer steelies...a feeding salmon can cover (move up) at 264 ft a min or 4.4ft per sec(i think) so if your 20 ft above a hungry fish that 16 sec run to warmer water ant gonna bother him (or her) ...but me math is as bad as me spellin or is it 9.77777776 sec? (at 20mph) that ant right either comon longline i need some help here!!!!maybe more like 1.o sec ok a human can cover 33.33333 ft per sec (100 yd dash record)so .9 sec is about how long for a 20 to 25 ft strike....maybe???? IM GOING TO WORK!!!

Ray – Studies from the Northwest utilizing passive integrated transponders, (P-I-T’s) on 3 yr olds have shown that starting from a point of neutral buoyancy, Salmon can attain monotonic speeds of 32.27 Ft/sec when ascending for considerable distance. They are much slower on the descent. This of course is temperature gradient dependent and related to their ratio of Red to White muscle in the 4th body quadrant. ;)

Mickey –remember that it’s very easy to fish below the fish on Big-O.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Ray - Those researchers did not get a 2 Million dollar grant. Although they did get the Ig NOBEL prize in 2004 for discovery of the Herring "FRT" ("Fast-Repetitive-Ticking" aka Fart)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... farts.html

http://www.alr-journal.org/articles/alr ... lr3045.pdf

That's why Gamakatsu puts the plastic tubing in their packages of trailer hooks. :)

...also why Magnus Whalberg is now working at "Whally-world" ;)

The real question is now whether the salmon ascend or descend when they hear/smell the FRT.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

:lol::rofl:

hmm maybe banannas and beans do affect the catch ratio ,after muskys cousin started to smoke out the boat (phew gag,gag) "never never feed him breakfast sandwiches from tim hortans " we (he) musta disorenteted the bigger fish back to our lures ....................Hmmmmmm gotta go to one of those gag stores and get some of that FART IN A CAN and try that for sent... or make a hose setup that fits into the flactuation orface and vent into the water. thell either come a biting or floating...WOW big fish but it smells like its been dead for a week! ""sorta of a new ridgebutt rattler"""

• 3 weeks later...