Seneca 6-22

I got out by myself last night for an evening trip and worked that 25-40 FOW in front of the Belhurst. Here's my rowboat setup:

50891605.th.jpg

1st pass hooked up with a small laker on a NK28 Orange Crush down 16 over 25FOW

38048971.th.jpg

Then the Glow frog Spin Dr/Blue dolphin fly fired out 40 over 30 FOW

81864184.th.jpg

I lost this set-up shortly after when I hooked up with a head-shaker in front of the country club...snapped the leader between the dipsey and the spinney :(

The only line I had in my box was some 17 lb Flourocarbon (Berkley vanish) so I rigged up a new leader and put a green/silver pro-troll e-chip out and hooked up with another fish in 40 FOW out 55 on a 2 1/2 setting only to have the same thing happen again! :@

So now I'm crying about $30 worth of tackle when the rigger fires (32 down over 37 FOW) with a NK28 Green NBK

78611796.th.jpg

So I finished 3/5 and still had a great time on the water in spite of tackle issues.

Water temp in the trench (Belhurst Hole) was 52 Deg and over that 25-40 FOW was 57 deg

I have to admit reading this forum makes me itch for the water all the more! :P

I am intrigued that you troll from a rowboat. I have always wondered if the rhythm of paddle strokes would get more strikes. Do you have a speedometer to gauge your rowing speed? Do you row mainly with the wind? how long do your arms hold out?

As far as your breakoffs are concerned, there is definitely something wrong. I run 15 pound mono on my seth green rigs and RARELY break anything off - and when I do, it is usually when it is thrashing beside the boat with very little slack. And dipsy rods usually have plenty of spring to cushion headshakes. i think you must have some old or frayed line, or maybe you locked the drag on you reel.

Pete

too late your gone already but i use flouraclear its a mono line with some invasable coating (must be i cant see it) i tried flouracarbon 1x years ago when it first came out ...been part of steuben landfill ever sence my first trip loosing fish..

I was up until 1:00 last night re-tying all my leaders, Dipseys, etc....I didn't get Ray's post in time and ended up buying some Seaguar abraz-x flourocarbon for my leaders and big game for the dipseys. If this gives me problems I will pick up some p-line as Ray suggested

pete, while cruising through the 'ville the other day I noticed your logging sign. I do some business with farms out that way.

As far as the rowing trolling, I had an old timer tell me last night that trolling that way was much more effective than with outboards constant speeds. It just makes sense, the varied action it gives the lure will trigger more strikes, I may have to go old school sometime.