How to shop for a "COPPER" Reel

With the many post about copper set ups and how to run them and what are needed for reels, I thought I would throw up this post on how I determine which reel to buy for my copper set-ups. From my experience I know that I can put a 300' copper on a Tekota 700 and a 400-600' copper on a Tekota 800. (Also from my experience I know that these reels do not hold up for a whole 80 trip season on the lake)

SO....I researched the line capacities of these reels and found that the 700 can hold about 350 yards of 30# and the 800 about 450 yards of 30#

Now I was able to go to various websites and search for reels that had comparable line capacities and other features that I wanted once I found the model I wanted I could shop for it.

This may take alot of the guess work out of determining if a reel can hold the copper you want to run.

Another good way is to visit the A-tom-mik site. He has all of the reels w/ copper listed by reel and how much copper they have on them.

Here is what I have

100' - Penn 320 GTI - 300 yds 40lb Power Pro backing

200' - Penn 330 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing

250' - Penn 330 GTI - 275 yds 50lb Power Pro backing

300' - Penn 340 GTi - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing

350' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing (might pit on a Penn 340 really full)

400' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing

500' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing

Thanks for the info. I just received my Convector 55 that I got off of ebay it was going top be my first copper setup. Unfortunately I am going to have to return it. It's a 55W which holds alot of line also and apparently this model does not come with a line guide and worm gear to guide the line evenly onto the spool. I emailed the A TOM MIK site about this since they sell the prespooled. He responded immeadiately to my question. I guess I could use it but would have to use my thumb to guide the line on. Too much trouble for me. I may have to pay a visit to Jon's or Fat Nancy's since he's all out of the convectors. :(

Gotta bite,

You do not need a level wind, I have had non level wind reels for copper/leadcore for many years and it really is not a big deal. Many newbies to fishing have landed fish on my non-level wind without much problem. You should be fine.

Gambler,

If you put all your coppers in your rocket launchers does your boat get top heavy?? :D:D

CC

I keep them all the same length. If the copper gets kinked, or cut, I replace them and take the old copper and cut it down to the next smaller lenght that I use and keep it as a back up spool.

OK -- I am Humbled -- You and Dave -- I just need to become a better fisherman. My 600 is already a 575, my 400 a 375, I measured my 300 and it was 250. My 200 is 200.

I hope that some fish start biting my riggers, otherwise I may be forced into a 5th set up and I don't know how I would ever manage it.

CC

It's the tangles usually with a released dipsy or another copper. Mostly last year with no auto-pilot & I think my outriggers put my coppers right above (and behind) the dipseys and once you hook a spinner on the copper it is all over!! This year I'll run a bobber and 100' off the outrigger, that should take care of the problem.

I hardly ever get kinks or backlashes.

CC

Carl,

If your copper gets "shortened" somehow :o:o , you can easily mend it and bring it back to its original length. Just haywire twist a length of copper in to replace what you lost. It's a really easy repair and can be done quickly while out on the water. The haywire twist will hold forever and it fits through line guides and level winds easily too. My 600 got "shortened" by a dipsy last year during a tournament and we had to put about 100' back on it. I pulled 100' off the spare spool and had us back at 600' in about 5 minutes.

Or you can get it out on big boards and not worry about it getting into your wires. Many times on charters we run 4 wires, and at least 2 coppers. I personally have never gotten my copper wadded up, and my ol' man CANT drive! :rofl: Outriggers just aren't long enough.

Bill,

I have many joints in my copper!! You know how I fish by the seat of my pants!!! I find it novel that I have a 575' and no other boat does!!! It actually drives a couple of my fellow captains nuts because I tell them my 343' copper is working.

I was looking forward to sharing a dock with you this year at Lake Breeze, too bad your not going to be around. I do respect your decision -- kudos!!

Yankee,

In the summer I like to fish short and circle tight keeping the boat on the fish as long as a bite is going, that is why I don't like to run the boards. I have little problem if the fish are hitting right away, but if I get 6 out and no bites, I just can't stop myself from putting out more and then they hit and I'm in trouble. You know -- 2nd copper half out, dipsy goes with a big guy, rigger pops and the other dipsy misses a fish and I am screwed because I'm netting a fish and the spinner on the tripped dipsy is honeymooning with my half out copper and the result is 28' less copper on that reel!

Oh well!

CC