loosing fish on cowbells

I get a lot of releases on cowbells, but i have a hard time hooking up on them. I was wondering if the fish are hitting the cowbells instead of the spoon, or peanut. If that is that case is it the distance back from the cowbells, or the size of the lure i need to work on? Maybe it's just the drag from the cowbells keeping me from getting a good hookset. Any ideas?

thanks!

Do you get headshakes, then lose the fish or are the cowbells releasing themselves off your riggers?

I like 30-36 inches from the back of the cowbells to the peanut. Try adjusting the tension on your releases so that it takes a few headshakes to release it. Blacks releases are not good for lake trout fishing, I prefer the stacker style so you can stack them a couple ft above the ball and can notice if a laker breathes on them cus of the little bit of play in that style release.

http://www.alltackle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=SCY1040

similar to these ones ....

good luck

i have Roemer releases on my riggers, and i run them about three feet up from the ball. I have tried adjusting the tension tighter, but then i ended up dragging smaller fish without knowing it. I don't think they are false releases because a lot of times it's not right on bottom, and the speed hasn't changed. I don't have a probe, so maybe it's some currents messing with me. I do feel headshake on a few i lose, but most of the time i can land them if they are there. My question is more about releases with nothing on there. I do have some cannon stacker releases, but i don't think its a release problem. I'm running the lure about 24"-30" back from the cowbells now, and thats mainly beacuse i fish from a small boat usually by myself and any longer of a leader makes it hard to net.

Thanks!

Do you get headshakes, then lose the fish or are the cowbells releasing themselves off your riggers?

I like 30-36 inches from the back of the cowbells to the peanut. Try adjusting the tension on your releases so that it takes a few headshakes to release it. Blacks releases are not good for lake trout fishing, I prefer the stacker style so you can stack them a couple ft above the ball and can notice if a laker breathes on them cus of the little bit of play in that style release.

http://www.alltackle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=SCY1040

similar to these ones ....

good luck

Thanks Farmer Jax! LMAO!

First time using cowbells tonight. Slow fishing on Owasco, but did hook up this one on south end of lake in 80 fow. Chartreuse cowbells with a stinger (hot pink w/black eye) spoon. I was using Blacks releases and have had luck with them on lakers??? The cannons would either not release or get false releases.

DSCN0556.jpg