Record Walleye

Wow.. love to see a piture of it! I'm not really surprised at a new record walleye coming out of Ontario. I fish both Erie and Ontario for walleye and although Erie's considered the "walleye captial", the one's out of Ontario seem to run bigger on the average. I got one in Mud Bay last summer that taped at 34", but was a slender 13# fish. Spawning weight would have been 3 or 4 pounds more! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Guest ReelDiel

yeah ontario fish are def. bigger. i think the average fish on the MWC out of like dunkirk 5-6lbs. When they visit Henderson Harbor average fish weight is like 8-9lbs.*

*except for last year

i cant "weight to see how the pros do on the west end this year out of the lower niagara

Roadrash.. That's a good question! I really don't know the answer, but maybe the fact that there are very few trout or salmon in the northeast end has something to do with it? Maybe the lack of competition for food? Just a guess. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris) ps.. just to contradict myself.. my biggest walleye came from just outside Oswego Harbor.

I have wondered this for a long time now.My take is the fish from the upper east end ( Henderson and north) are form the Quinte strain from Canada. These fish are bigger, poss.a little differant genetics than the fish from Oneida and the finger lakes. It will be nice to see what happens with the eyes that are being dropped in from the ponds up in Cape Vincent. Not sure what the new VHS regs are going to do to these ponds,but time will tell. Not sure you can say that the predator base is differant, just that the area up there has a lot more structure, and has been fished for eyes alot more. I am sure you will see the numbers and size increase down there when more people start to fish for them. I know the eyes in Oswego and around the mouth of the Salmon River are big also. Just a thought.

Rich