What it takes to be an Observer

What it takes to be an Observer? I have seen a few post of observer needed. That sounds like a cool gig and seems like it would be fun, but I don't know anything about it could someone shed some light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

Deebsey, highly recommended for anybody that's relatively new to trout and salmon fishing or just wants to learn. Can meet some great people (except team L.O.U.S.E.R.S stay away from them :o:P:lol: ) and have some real fun.

Most, if not all teams pay you also which is a added plus :yes:

if your smarter than any COOK you can be a observer ,basicly you write down fish caught,approxment weight,time,gps cord.(captian will show to you),and if the boat your on has a really hot spot CALL ME and tell me whats working depth and gps cord.(location) (ill give you 200.00 if we take first place)..as the :puke: cook above mentioned you will hopefully learn a lot....and dont forget to bring bannans for the crew.

Like RR said...you need to be responsible. Everything else they will tell you at the captains meeting, but there is nothing to it. The team you sign up with will depend on you being there, so all should keep that in mind. I have never been an observer, but I've had many on my boat and on our boat they always feel like part of our team by the end of the tournament (even though they are part of another team). I personally enjoy the added dynamic of having an observer on board and we go out of our way to see they enjoy themselves. We've even had our observers join us on stage at the award ceremonies. It can be a great experience and I highly recommend it!

Wow. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think that would be something I could handle and really enjoy. I am going to give it a try this summer, so if anybody needs an observer drop me a PM. I have always liked trolling on Lake Ontario with charter service so if I can make some coin to just be there and watch that would be awesome.

go to pro am site and tell them you would like to sign to be a observer(diff number for each derby) your last shot for this year is oswego or sodus and most boats invite you to prefish with them and youd should be able to get some hands on action.i go up 390 a lot to THE OAK and will be prefishing oswego tues through fri if you ant in the LOC derby you ant fishing my boat if its during one but your welcome to jump on i post open invites when ever i go if there is room (but not when i plan on serious buffy fishing)

What it takes to be an Observer? I have seen a few post of observer needed. That sounds like a cool gig and seems like it would be fun, but I don't know anything about it could someone shed some light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT bring bananas. I was an observer for the first time several weeks ago during a Top Gun tournament out of Olcott on a very experienced and well known captain's boat. I made the mistake of pulling out a banana at the end of the day. I never heard of the banana curse until then. All I am going to say is, Don't bring a banana on someone elses boat.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT bring bananas. I was an observer for the first time several weeks ago during a Top Gun tournament out of Olcott on a very experienced and well known captain's boat. I made the mistake of pulling out a banana at the end of the day. I never heard of the banana curse until then. All I am going to say is, Don't bring a banana on someone elses boat.

That is a classic I have heard that one a ton of times.....I would never think of bringing them.

That is a classic I have heard that one a ton of times.....I would never think of bringing them.

It was my first time and I did not know. Throughout the day the charter captain kept saying that it was his worst day on the lake that he ever had and he couldn't understand why he wasn't catching anything. We marked a ton of fish and went from depths of 490 feet to 45 feet then back out deep. He used about 125 gallons of fuel. It wasn't until seven and a half hours later that I pull the banana out of my lunch box and start chomping. He stares at me in unbelief then turns around and yells to his crew of five guys to see what I'm eating. They tweak out and want to throw me and the banana in the Big O. One guy starts spazzing out and thinks the boat is going to sink or something bad happen because we still have to go about ten miles to get back to the marina and the waves are getting bigger. I learned my lesson.