Hot Lure: NK Watermelon, Monkey Puke

Trolling Speed: 2.8 mph

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 60 ft

Lure Depth: 35 ft

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Went out with my daughter and niece from Fl. We re at it again fishing 3 mornings out of 5 days.

Hot spoon was NK Watermelon. First hook up, I reeled in and gave it to my niece. She looked at me and said nobody was home. We were fishing 40 to 60 FOW. Found mud plume around the Genny river. Zig zagged through the green and mud line. Screen was very active. Great marks all over in the zone. Same 35" rigger fired and we kept missing the hook up. I decided to reduce the length of the lure from the ball.

Another rod fired over 60 FOW and lure was set at 35' and 40' out. I hooked the fish and gave the rod to my niece. She fought the fish for ten minutes before the fish came on surface. I thought it was a laker but as it came close, it was a huge brown! Easily 12 to 14 lbs. I had the net in my hand and the fish was near the trolling motor. My niece could not keep the tip of the rod up. The fish shook its head and there popped out the Watermelon spoon.

43115155.jpg

If you heard a scream over the lake, please understand that I have just lost a derby brown!

Now, like one would tell you, you would remember the one you lost more than the one you landed. In our case, we skunked and missed netting the fish. If you re reading this, go out there tonight as the fish are there!

tight lines.

Anthony,

That's a bummer buddy.......but thanks for the report. Glad to hear you've been out 3 out of 5 days! Take it from me, you'll be thinking of that missed brown for quite a while......

We'll be at it Thursday and Saturday - thanks for the pointers,

- Chris

I think the missed fish thing is going around right now.

I lost one Friday and still can't get it out of my mind.

i'm sure the pain will ease someday.

When I was about 17, I lost a huge trout on opening day at Naples. That was 38 years ago. It was right near a concession stand and I had a crowd of about 50 people watching me. Some guy panicked and started jamming his net in the water. He ended up knocking the fish off. Everybody turned around and went back to their business. I was sick and I wanted to throw up and punch this guy in the mouth at the same time. To this day, there are only a few select people who I will allow to net my fish. I know that fish would have placed in the local Naples Derby that day.

And the pain eases a little bit but the memory of that big one never goes away.