The truth about the Oak on 6-30!

Ok without having read the other 2 guys (Carl aka CBISH successful charter Captain and Ray K aka short, hairy, everything underlined in red no space typing, Coho slaying HVAC guy) "reports" for our trip out of the Oak here's the low down!

I showed up about 10 minutes late because I haven't driven out there in years and didn't realize that it was that much further from my home port of Sandy creek, so I got started a little later than I should have from my house in Chili :(

We set out on Carl's very nice, fully equipped boat that had everything you need on it including his 2 nice sons Landon 9 and Carl 16, (they were more than willing to land fish whenever we yelled "LANDON FISH ON"). You could fish 10 people out it comfortably, it didn't make me sick :puke::shake: and there was never a need to siphon water from the gas every hour or so, rewire the riggers every time we put them up or down like somebody else s boat I have been on and I don't recall it stalling while we were fishing :lol::P

We head out to 80-90 fow to set up. I was given the left side rigger to set up (not knowing before hand that I was even gonna be setting up any of the rods on Carl's boat having just met the guy for the first time only 5 minutes before :o ) We start to troll and Ray begins to start to grumble about the speed and questions whether Carl's fish Hawk is accurate (actually pulls his probe out of the water to examine it at one point of the day :o ) he want's him to run at 2.4 -2.5 MPH so he's putting the tow bags in and out of the water, asks him to move his trim tabs up and down and suggests that maybe he could have one of the boys jump in front of the boat and try to push against the bow :wondering:.

We mark bait and fish right away and sure enough doesn't the worst thing that could happen, happen? That's right Ray gets a knock off on his rigger :@ . I yell fish on because Ray is paying no attention to his side of the boat, instead he was firing up one of those cherry flavored Virginia Slims cigars he smokes now :makeup::makeup: . Carl immediately identifies it as a Atlantic Salmon by the way it was leaping around the back of the boat (he has caught like 7 or 8 of them this year). Ray brings the fish up to the back of the boat never actually getting it in the boat or allowing Carl or I to fully to see it and says "brown trout" :wondering: :wondering: Carl and I say :no: . First off the next Brown trout I see jump like that way back behind the boat will be the first :yes:

Carl and I start to wonder if we will ever hear the end of this on the board :doh::doh:

About another 1/2 hr or so goes by and you guessed it HVAC guy's rigger goes again :@:@:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear: this time he actually see's it and we call for the fish catching machine that is LANDON (Mom and dad should have named him "LANDEM" instead, because he doesn't drop fish :clap::yes:) Lands a small coho (which is Ray's expertise :lol: ) or maybe a steelhead if I remember correctly. Ray thought it was a brook trout this time :lol:

So now it's our worst nightmare come true, Ray 2 and Capt. Carl and I zero :@ ; and it's only like 7:15am - 7:30am :o;(

So after changing a few things up Capt. Carl decides to break out the 400 copper :o (my first experience with it) to try and get something going. HVAC guy is still grumbling about the speed and begins to threaten Carl :punch: within an inch of his life if he doesn't slow the boat down .2 mph!!

The HVAC guy wants to troll out to like 800 fow even after I had told him that there was nothing but a blank screen from 150 out to 300 there on Sunday when I was out with FX and that everybody else was fishing the skinny waters (we even heard Ray's hero :* the BUCCAROO talking that they weren't doing anything out there) and watched him troll all the way back in to us, but I am sure it was that he was probably trolling at 2.6 or higher and that's why he wasn't having any luck :P

So after a bit of time the copper fires and I get my first shot at a copper fish! I grab the rod and it feels like a skipper on it so I make the call ..... LANDON FISH ON! Carl figures it might be a derby fish so he want's me to take the rod again :shake::shake::doh: I bring it in and it's a King about 10-12 lbs (Ray say's it's a steel head about 8lbs) but I don't lose the fish (see FX :o:lol::yes: ) All I can say about copper is :dull::dull::yawn::yawn::sleepy::sleepy: !

We get reset and a bit later my 57 foot rigger fires and we ask Carl Jr if he would like to catch it since we saw it wasn't a derby fish and it was jumping all over the place like a "brown trout". Nice Steelie about 8 lbs :yes: I think on a mag crystal (?) frog that I had just put out.

Reset again change out some spoons. Ray changes out his wire set up for the 15th or 20th time hoping to get one of his rods to fire. It's now like 10:30 or so.

Captain Carl put out a tricky little setup of a "slider diver" on braided line and we make that call.... LANDON FISH ON and he gets a fish on that.

My 56 foot rigger goes and it's time for the call... LANDON FISH ON! That kids flies out of the cabin like he's shot out of a rocket with a huge smile on his face :yes::) and lands a small steelie. I believe it was on a blue whale slider (I don't remember after changing out, seeing and talking about every spoon color and manufacture on the earth)

Ray again changes out his wire set up which I might add was a little bigger than what they used in movie JAWS :o (at 2.4 mph I don't think it bent) he's running out of flashers aboard the boat to try now and wants Carl to bring him to Captains Cove and Narby's to restock, hoping that maybe in the few hours we have been out that someone had developed some new styles and colors he can try!

After having changed the wire set up on my side to a Mag size Orange crush behind the dipsey at Captains Carl's suggestion, I decide to set it back 150 and that baby gets whacked (we had just talked about the fact that we had had no wire hits at all :o:o ) I grab the rod and think that maybe it's a nice fish this time so we decide to not make the call to LANDEM MAN! Well just as it was when I fished aboard another Captains boat (King Me) a few years back during the LOC again the dipsey doesn't release :@:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: so the nice fish turned out to be a average size steelie :( .

Reset again and deal with a crazy a@% :rain: storm that goes through us and my rigger gets a little poke at it but doesn't release and we look back and there is a coho or what Ray believes might be a small Sockeye Salmon just going crazy jumping all over the place. Must have leaped out of the water 10 times or more :rofl:.

So Carl's rigger is the only one not to go as of yet. He decides in his head that we ain't going in until his rigger fires at least once. Well as we pass in front of the break wall in like 55 fow there she goes we make the call..... LANDON FISH ON! He lands a small steelie and we call it a day :yes::yes:

All in all we went 7 for 9 every set up we had caught a fish..... OH WAIT! One didn't that's right :o . Ray's ocean rod never did fire but that's probably because we trolled at 2.7 to 2.8 at times. Not always though, we did do 2.4 - 2.5 quite a bit too, just not when we were getting fish to hit :lol::lol:

I had a great time with Captain Carl (his 2 kids were very nice too) and Ray. We didn't light the world on fire but we could have with as many times as Ray lite those cute little girl y Virginia Slim type cigars he smokes :smoke: .

I would like to see Ray's cell phone because there was a few times he was overheard saying "Musky what should I run, Musky what do you think should do now, Musky get out of my house she's sick :o:lol:.

Side note: Ray's side fired twice in the first hour or so and never again for the next 6+ hours :o;( while this guys set ups went off 4 times over the coarse of the day :o:P put the biggest steelhead in the boat and Captain Carl's copper setup put the only decent salmon in the boat and all three of his setups went at least once :o:rock::P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

P.S Hey Carl how's about them tenderloin sandwiches and double chocolate brownies :yes::yes:

Thanks again Carl, you the man :yes:

Sounds like you guys need an observer to get you stories straight! This version is unbelievalbe because Tom did not stand up to his nickname (SeaSick Waddler). As for the sandwiches off the Dollar menu, Carl is probally sitting on the toilet with food poisoning!

Hey Tom, when we going again? The wife just finished the last of the sandwiches last evening and as she was wiping the horeradish from the corner of her mouth she told me I better fish with you some more!!!!

Thanks,

CC

PS. Are you sure you didn't read my report 'cause they both mention the same lures and sequence and lack of hits on the port cue stick???

kremer it was so bad one of the kids locked himself in the cabin and threatened not to come out unless we caught a fish......needless to say he got cabin feaver,,,i should of know somethig was up when the oldest kid showed up with a book to read if it got slow 495 page long and he finished it by the end of the trip . Forgot to mention the jetskiers jumping our wake while we were trolling.......With 3, 30" troll bags out!!!!!

Here are some pictures from the day. The first one is Ray's attitude about being .2 mph too fast (IHMHO) the second is how hard he cried when that MOONSHINE TNT took the last fish -- baby!!

86616406.th.jpg

37356050.th.jpg

Here is a pic of Ray's Brown:

49078454.jpg

I think the biggest question is how Ray was able to get the butt end of that rod into the holder :o ? I guess it didn't matter how he was getting it out since that was never a need. I had to stay on the same side of the boat (starboard) as Captain Carl so that we could keep the boat balanced with the weight of that rod that Ray had his wire on since it was a thick as the hand rail on my stairs and as as long as one of Carl's outriggers or at least it looked that long with Ray standing next to it :lol:

As far as the food goes there Brian, those sandwiches were awesome (fresh baked ciabatta bread, medium rare tenderloin and horseradish sour cream and mayo :mmm::yes:. :wait: if you ever get invite me out on your boat :sleepy::yawn: you'll find out.

I thought that 1st pic was him after going 6+ hours without a release on his side of the boat, or was that the one of me after you wouldn't let your son put the boat in neutral when we came mooring in by the docks :inlove::inlove::yes:

Wasn't Ray "Virginia Slims" first complaint the fact that the sun was coming up and we were just exiting the pier heads

Here's a picture I snapped of Ray setting up his wire at the dock

09gallery07.jpg

Found this picture of what happened to some guy that made the mistake of was FOLLOWING Ray's van home. I told ya to put a red flag on the end of that rod.

pole.jpg

You let me know Carl, I'll be there and on time, I won't run late just to annoy Ray :lol:

Oh come on Mark it wasn't that bad. We actually had a fun time, the fishing was tough for everyone out that day.

Carl couldn't get a picture of the fish because Ray never pulled it up out of the water to show me through the smoke from his woman's cigars and Carl didn't have time to even turn his camera on :o

I forgot to mention we had to fish half the morning without the fish finder because someone (I think we know who) couldn't stop playing with it all day. The only thing I think he played with more was his rod :lol:

I am always willing to take a boat ride with Ray and fish :*:inlove: .

Just need to get my shots in when I can with him :clap: