Oak Fishing Tournaments

I would like to announce some exciting events that will take place this summer. First we will be having our First Annual Condor Memorial Tournament Series of which there will be 4 events, they will be held in support of our Annual Orleans County Pro/Am, entry is $100 entry per boat. You may have as many people on the boat as you would like and run as many rods as you like as long as you are legal. You must weigh-in your 3 biggest fish before 3PM at the designated weigh-in station on the day of the tournament and you can sign up until 7:30 AM the morning of the event. You must fish from the Oak Orchard Harbor only to be eligible for this event (that is leave the Oak Orchard harbor by boat/water and return to it by boat/water the day of the event). Pay out will be 25% of the field (ex: 20 boats entered payout top 5). The Dates of these events will be July 18th, Aug 8th, Aug 22nd and Sept 12th. Entries will be accepted at Lake Breeze Marina, 4c’s Marina, Capt. Cove Resort and Narby’s Superette and Tackle.

Next we will have our Annual Shongo Memorial Derby. This event will be held July 25th and entries will be accepted at 4’C’s Marina only, up until the morning of the event at 6:00 AM. Entry is $50 per boat and payout will be the top 3 Salmon and the top 3 trout of any spices. The Prizes will be presented at a Pig Roasts at 4C’s to be held immediately after the event.

Next we will have our 2nd Annual Release/Johnny V. Tournament this event will be held on Sept. 6th it will be the same format as the Condor events with entry sites to be announced. Capt. Bob Steven of Sunrise II is the point person for this event. The awards ceremony will be held during a party at Red Breeze Camp Grounds at 13465 Waterport-Carlton Rd. starting at 4:00 PM. This event is also a fundraiser for the Oak Orchard Pen rearing project. Bob Stevens Sunrise II/Bob Songin Reel Excitement will accept donations in Johnny V’s name any time leading up to the event.

And last but not least we will be having our 3rd annual “One Man Tournament†on Tuesday Sept. 8th Entry is $100 per man/boat, fishing commences at 6:00 AM and ends at 11:00 AM entries are accepted by Bob Stevens/Bob Songin up until the morning of the event at 6:00 AM. The format is very easy one man, one boat, and two rods you must fish the Oak. Minimum fish size is 25 inches; total weight of your 3 fish limit determines winners. Awards presented immediately following.

Why not consider allowing boats from other ports to enter (particularly Sandy Creek). We fished two of these types of tournaments based out of the Oak last year and I know others from Sandy that did as well. I think your eliminating a fair number of boats that are docked in Sandy and don't want to pull their boat to fish a one day tournament.

Keith is right. I think our Sandy boats out numbered the oak boats in them 3 fish tourney's last summer. I think your turnout for the 3 fish tourney will suffer if Sandy is not invited this year.

yep i"m at sandy and don't have a trailer and was thinking the same thing , please open this up for the sandy guys and gals , we have some green money too put in !maybe have someone call bruce at sandycrek marina and work somthing out maybe a weigh station there for the day !

I agree about fishing out of Sandy Creek, It would be a good idea to include other ports for the 3 man tournys. I am sure you will get a much bigger turnout. ;)

Capt. BOB,

By the number of responses here, you may have to MOVE these tournaments to SANDY CREEK ONLY!!! Come on down to our Sandy Creek and we can sit in the "CANADIEN LOVE" seat AGAIN and discuss this further. Please reconsider.

JERRY

RUNNIN-REBEL

Scott,

Will we include the oak orchard boats in this new tournament?

Wait till Legacy Rob heres about this potential exclusion, he will be all over the phone with scott B.

JERRY

RUNNIN-REBEL

Guys we have thought about this and clearly understand your position on being able to enter these events and fish out of Sandy. First the majority of the boats that fished these events last year were from th Oak, Sandy Boats never did out number the Oak boats. Second many businesses from the Oak will be volunteering their time and people to help support these events and it is only fair that we give them an opportunity recoup some of their expenses for their efforts. Also these events are a vehicle to support tourism in Orleans County and the more boats we put "At the Oak" the more we increase the chances of this happening.

Capt. Bob,

I'm not sure I understand your point. If I have to drive to Narby's or Captain's Cove to sign up then you can be fairly sure I'm gonna drop $ 100 or $ 200 on lures, spin doc's, etc. while I'm in the store. I have done in the past and unfortunately for my wallet probably always will. Then if I have to weigh in I'm back for a second time probably spending more money. I'm not asking for a separate weigh station, just allow us to enter and fish out of Sandy. We will drive to the Oak and support the business while we are there. Anyone else from Sandy please feel free to comment.

Will, you buy gas at Lake Breeze, eat lunch at 4C's, eat breakfast at the Lighthouse, have a beer at the BNI? Fishing from the Oak the chances of this happening increase since they all have a stake in this not just Narby's and Captains cove.

Capt. Bob,

I'm not sure I understand your point. If I have to drive to Narby's or Captain's Cove to sign up then you can be fairly sure I'm gonna drop $ 100 or $ 200 on lures, spin doc's, etc. while I'm in the store. I have done in the past and unfortunately for my wallet probably always will. Then if I have to weigh in I'm back for a second time probably spending more money. I'm not asking for a separate weigh station, just allow us to enter and fish out of Sandy. We will drive to the Oak and support the business while we are there. Anyone else from Sandy please feel free to comment.

Keith im onbourd with ya i like the tackle shops down there too and would for sure be spending some cash also , Thats any easy fix for everyone too let us just drive are fish down to the weigh in station if we happen to get a big one , plus would we have alittle handy cap on the time thing seeing we have to drive down too make the cut off , i wish they would think about this for alittle bit in more of a positive way . :yes:

We have and did think about it carefully again as I said before:

Will, you buy gas at Lake Breeze, eat lunch at 4C's, eat breakfast at the Lighthouse, have a beer at the BNI? Fishing from the Oak the chances of this happening increase since they all have a stake in this not just Narby's and Captains cove.

Ive bougt gas there a 100 times had breakfast/lunch /dinner / beer many many times -- and would agian when i register and if i don"t catch a big one , the secound trip over would be out the window. same for the boats that don"t finish in the money , load up and go home , some may stop for a beer/dinner but so mite the sandy guys that ya bring in , you turning bussness away from my stand point and i have five people ready too enter up and visit the oak !Dam i can smell that pig roast over here at sandy lol you just have some guys who want too fish your derby and help suport what you are doing so please take me in a good positive way . thx for reading agian . J ROSS

Reel Bob:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. You and the rest of the Oak gang

are honoring a couple of great people in the process of promoting the LO fishery.

Due to the walleye here....it looks like most dates are out....BUT....August 22nd

looks like its the first full day of our Oak trip...let me clear it with the guys, but I'd

say we will be one of the oak boats "in".

And I think you know firsthand that we will do our best to support the BNI.....!

Looking forward to having one with you.

John

More food for thought... when there is a tournament at Fairhaven, does Sodus or Oswego want to be involved or vice versa?

These are tournaments being organized by people at the Oak to honor great Oak fishermen... no one is being excluded from helping to honor and compete in these tournaments, they just need to leave from and return to the Oak... nobody here should feel slighted...

If Sandy folk want to organize tournaments then go for it, nobody will be excluded either, they will just need to do the same at Sandy Creek...

Think about us at IBay, where there's nothing close for any weekend tournaments! It would be great to only move a boat 10-15 miles to fish a Tournament rather than 30+!

BOB,

You are missing some important BUSINESS FACTS here.

This past Mon Me & family ate at the NEW CARLTON Rest. on rt. 98. Had GREAT meal, sat next to fish tank, and owner of the rest. even offered my 4 yr old daughter some of the new born baby fish!! Had a nice conversation w/Capt. Ron Penna (Bucaroo) also.

Next went to Narby,s and Sharron herself cashed me out a nice big $$$ receipt for $324.76 TOTAL!!! (Yes i could buy what i needed at oswego or sodus tackle shops for pro-ams) BUT SHARON took great care of me and even took the extra time to show my shy daughter the latest-n-greatest in pink fishing poles!

Yesterday: Drove back to oak and dropped off considerable cash to an oak orchard charter boat who i am possitive will spend it on (AS YOU SAY gas at lake breeze and beer at BNI) Then bought fresh fruit at a stand in kuckville and finally gased up $53.00 at K & K in Kendal (bought large pizza Tue.=pizza special day) ALL IN ORLEANS COUNTY!!!

BOB< SANDY CREEK BOATS DID OUT NUMBER OAK BOATS LAST YEAR!!! Last tourn. of year in sept was canceled day of tourny. I was in charge of RETURNING $100 entry fees to Sandy boats from Mike Waterhouse who had the cash refunds.

Oak entries Sept 2008 tourny = 1 YOU

Sandy creek entries Sept. 2008 tourny = 2 Rebel/trout-n-about & lakerunner

Most importantly this is a memorial. I would bet you 2 tickets to the WHITBY BLACK BALLET 2010 that more people read "AT THE OAK" (Joe-shirley aka: CONDOR MEMORIAL) were from outside of Orleans County than in it.

So if these oak tournies are "TO support our annual ORLEANS COUNTY PRO-AMS" Why would you want to LIMIT the enrty pool from anybody willing to dish out $100?

I gurantee you the OAK BUSINESS will make more $$$ for their volunteered time if the $ prize structure was supported on the orleans Pro-AMs threw MORE ENTRIES in these oak tournies. Another words The OAK BUSINESS' will make more $ in a Pro-AM week-end than they will from the "ONLY LOCAL OAK BOATS" who will spend the exact same $ at their port with or with-out these oak tournies. There is NO upside in extra income for the business' or 2010 orleans Pro-Am support from ONLY drawing entries that are locals spending the same $ with or with-out these new tournies. TAKE ALL AND EVERY $100 you can!!!!

THANKS for the time and effort...

P.S. Hans these tournaments were run last year including Sandy Creek. Why would you stop the added income from Sandy boats and get totaly NOTHING for doing it except Less $ for the Orleans Pro-Ams? And yes when there is a tournament in Oswego you can fish from Mexico pt. AND a tournament in olcott, yes you can fish out of wilson.

Thanks again for the rant... I STILL LOVE HANS AND BOB NO MATTER THE OUT COME!!!

JERRY

RUNNIN-REBEL

Jerry,

l love you babe in the Deck Chair, but here is the point, where is Olcott and Wilson Niagara county, where is Oswego and Mexico Bay, Oswego county. Where is Sandy Creek, Monroe county where is the Oak, Orleans county. We welcome everyone to fish this but this is an Oak event. I would like someone to call the organizers of the Sodus or Oswego Pro/Am and tell them that they would like to enter but only if they can fish out of Sandy. See what they say. As far as the last event in 2008 I never did enter that event (I know that) and the reason that there was no Oak boats in it I will not discuss here. Also in the previous events only 2 Sandy boats entered (per registrations received) and from what I was told both of those boats were trailerable. Luv Ya Dude, but this is and Oak event that is it, that is the feed back I have gotten on this matter. If guys at Sandy chose not to participate I am sorry and I wish you all a lot of luck with your event I am sure you will not be getting the same issues from Oak boats as we are getting from the Sandy boats.

Also I am only the messenger don't shoot the messenger.

CBS

More food for thought... when there is a tournament at Fairhaven, does Sodus or Oswego want to be involved or vice versa?

These are tournaments being organized by people at the Oak to honor great Oak fishermen... no one is being excluded from helping to honor and compete in these tournaments, they just need to leave from and return to the Oak... nobody here should feel slighted...

If Sandy folk want to organize tournaments then go for it, nobody will be excluded either, they will just need to do the same at Sandy Creek...

Think about us at IBay, where there's nothing close for any weekend tournaments! It would be great to only move a boat 10-15 miles to fish a Tournament rather than 30+!

I'm all about honoring great fisherman , sandycreek is a very small place , nothing like the size of sodas or Oswego , and the oak is kinda like older sister stream too sandy plus we we share back and forth , its kinda like you being out of I-BAY and having ur boat slipped but someone putting a derby on honoring some great fishermen over at the genny but they want you too come and leave from there for income reason's per sponcers ! sure you can motor on over pull in pull out and you would meet the rule's but just don't make mutch sence too me. P.S ate lunch at BNI and spent about 60 bucks over at captians cove today .