Hot Lure: DW SS 42 second, DW SS Matt Rock special, DW SS Dirty White Boy

Trolling Speed: 2.2-2.9 sog

Down Speed: 1.8-2.4 mph

Boat Depth: 140-200 fow

Lure Depth: rigger 85' free slider, rigger 110' free slider, rigger 110' down

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We fished a little over an hour and had great action once again. I'm starting to think that the first calm night after a few rough days seems to be a hot bite. We set up in 140' and we started marking fish. Fish were scattered and out of temp. but were still on the screen despite a down temp. of only 58-59 degrees. (The coldest temp. we found was 53 degrees down 110' over 200 fow). We had so much blow back from the probe that we didn't want to go deeper. First fish was a nice king on our 110' rigger with a free slider Dirty White Boy in 150 fow. We ventured out to 200 fow and the screen was sparse so we motored back in to 160-170 feet and the screen was nice again. We then had a double as soon as we sped up to about 2.4 mph at the ball - a nice steelhead on a free slider Matt Rock Special DW SS spoon on our 85' rigger and a brown on a 42 second DW SS on our 110' rigger. We thought we had a "close" Derby steelhead so we flew back into port and had it weighed at B-E Tackle in Ontario - only 8#7oz. Oh well.....it's funny how they look so much bigger on the boat.....

In hindsight, I wish we would have stayed out b/c the 140-170' depth seemed like it was getting hot. However, a huge storm blew in around 8:30 or so, so we were lucky to be off the lake.

FWIW, the spiny fleas are in full force. I was still using 12# mono on my deep rigger and I paid the price on the brown b/c I had 4' of fleas and wound up having to hand line the fish in. If it was a 20# king, forget about it.

Good luck to all,

- Chris

19809961.th.jpg

Awesome report. I am def envious of your recent catches. I took my niece out this morning for four hours and nada - no fish. Started in 40 FOW to 60 FOW and got one hit on NK watermelon. Lots of mark on the screen. I decided to pick up and move to 200 FOW. So much blowback on the 90' rigger. I know it is time for me to get Shark weights. Very few marks near the ball but no dice.

Thanks again for sharing your success.

Anthony,

Are you using free sliders? Without a doubt, free sliders with red/orange spoons and a Dirty White Boy have been saving my "bottom" this year and seem to be one of best for picking up a lot of the high steelhead. I think Gambler recommended it a few weeks back - I really owe him one this year.

The evening bite has also been a bit better this year than year's past......

Good luck on the water bud,

- Chris

Guys,

I agree... free sliders, never leave home without them... as you see... fish 110' down, fish on sliders around 40-50' down... that blow back is from the wild currents, after a hard west blow, the temps always get driven down and the currents react accordingly, the same is true after a NE upwelling. Your speed never seems right after either scenerio, you just need to try all directions and find the best troll angle to combat the currents and give you the best compromise of speeds.

Thanks for the reports, keep them coming... I'm living vicariously thru you guys so far this year!

Ditto on the free sliders from me also. They have been my most consistent set up for 2 years. People (Darren lol) are always trying to get me to pin them to the line but I don't want to take my best presentation out of the picture.

Chris, love the looks on the faces of your little mermaids/girls. Never met you yet, but I am ready to dub you "King of I Bay" for 2009 so far based upon your consistent reports.

Thought real hard about going out last night but was glad I was home when that storm blew through.

I bow to you, King of I Bay! In case if you havent painted a name on your boat, perhaps consider this one!

My friend told me that it is a bad luck not to have a name on the boat. I need to get something painted on my little boat - only if I can find a space!

I definitely have just made a note about the free sliders. I have used them few times this year and oh yes, thats the set up that caught us a 11 lbs Steelie back in May. Got me thinking.

Tight lines.

Gentlemen,

You all have me blushing......I'm just gettin' lucky this year that's all....but if I could narrow it down to a few common themes it would be:

1.) Free sliders - (Gambler you are the man!!!)

2.) Red, red, red, orange, orange, orange on the sliders

3.) Dirty White boy on the sliders

4.) Fish the screen - be less concerned with temp.

5.) Don't leave home without that deep copper with a white Spinny......

6.) Did I mention free sliders?

As far as the name, we're still looking for a name (I'm trying to integrate the names of my kids and my wife somehow - Olivia, Elizabeth and Kimberly). If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Thanks again guys for all the kind words,

- Chris