Advice on a downrigger speed / temp probe

Hello fellow trollers,

What brands of downrigger speed and temperature probes does everyone use? I've been thinking about buying the Moor based on recommendations from friends, but I can get the Cannon speed-n-temp for under $200 on internet closeout. Cost is a concern for me, but I don't want to regret the purchase either and buying a discontinued product might be risky.

If it makes any difference, the probe will mostly be used on Cayuga for lakers.

Thanks,

Matt

I personally use a Depth Raider. It's a great unit. I used to own a Moor, and it's a great unit too. I just happen to like the digital display of the DR a bit better than the analog dial on the Moor. The Moor and the DR share similar technologies (so does the Cannon). They use a coated cable and an antenna to pick up the signal from the probe. The Cannon's probe is a bit larger than the DR & the Moor, but its a good unit too, especially for under $200, even if its being discontinued. Cannon will support that product for years to come so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The new Fish Hawk is supposed to be a fabulous unit, but it's pretty spendy. Any of them will work for you. You just need to decide what your budget will allow and then go with one.

Hope this helps!

I use to own the Cannon, it was my first speed and temp. The thing was a nightmare.

99% of the time the post office had it more than I did , from me shipping it back and forth. Cannon gave me two new ones to replace the original I bought from Cabela's .

Once the cable lock failed and they replaced it, but said they have fixed the problem. Again sending me another one. I final called Cabela's and told them of the problems with the unit and they had me return it . I traded it for a Depth Raider which I have been vary happy with now for the last 2 years.