I am in the market for a chartplotter. After looking around my head is still spinning. I have a few questions, is an external antenna a lot better than an internal and which chartplotter would you buy if you wanted a 5" screen and wanted to pay about $800.00 or less.

Chris, I think you want the external in your hard top. I have a Global map 5200, which I like. Depending on what you get you may want to budget in the Navionics Gold (+ fishing chip) or the Navionics FLX chip, the factory bottom map in many units is not much good for the FLX and there is nothing in the Lowrance for Lake O.

Not sure what you want it all to do Chris but I put a old ( I had it for two years thought I would have to tear floor out to to install antea) IntelliMap 480 Eagle. It has a 5" screen no color was not to hard to figure out. It will do way more things than I'll ever want it to. Has a program so the map will turn so it's easier to follow back to a way point or you can just leave it so it's facing north all the time. I picked up a Navionics chip at BassPro guy talked me into the 2008 for $99.00. Works get for Seneca I can see the shaols on the chip. I have a HotMaps Gold East 2004 that I paid over $200.00 that was OK but this one blows that one away.

Draw back is the depth # are very small and hard to see. I looked for a fornt size but didn't find one yet. You do have to adjust it so the water is white and land gray makes it easier to see also had to kick up contrast. I'm sure there are much better units out there but for under $300.00 it's hard to beat..............put the left overs for raydar next year!!!!! ;)

I have a Garmin 188C that is equipped with an internal antenna. I run it regularly under a canvas top and do so without any problems. I would recommend you take a look at the Garmin equipment and I think you will find something that will fit your budget. I like the internal antenna because it allows me to use the set on more than one boat. I can move it easily to a friends boat so I can get more use of the set.

OK My boat is a soft top 2005 islander 221. I think i am going to go with the raymarine a65 with the silver map. But it is not a WAAS unit which i don't like. my second choice is the Garmin 530 but i don't know what maps are available for it. speaking of maps is the navionics hotmaps prem lake map good?

OK My boat is a soft top 2005 islander 221. I think i am going to go with the raymarine a65 with the silver map. But it is not a WAAS unit which i don't like. my second choice is the Garmin 530 but i don't know what maps are available for it. speaking of maps is the navionics hotmaps prem lake map good?

Raymarine was knocking off $$ if u sent back the non waas antenna and upgraded to the new one.. i upgraded

Navionics HotMaps Premium Lake Maps 2008 Edition is the one I was talking about above..........I have only used it on Seneca.