Leadcore off of an inline planer board?

Can you run a 5 color or 10 color core off of an inline planer board, rigged to release and slide down to a bead and swivel on your leader? Or would the board sliding down the leadcore cause a breakoff? I could rig to not release and reel board in to remove it off the backing but I just was wondering since I like to let the board slide to a bead to keep tension on line.

FLX,

I run 3 colors, 5 color and ten color core exclusively with an in-line planer. The only limitation is if the waves are >2 feet b/c the rod really takes a beating.

I NEVER rig the board to slide down the core b/c I'm always concerned it'll slam the fish in the nose and knock it off. Here's how I rig it:

1.) Let out all the core until the knot is at the water line

2.) Attach my Church Walleye board to the braid backing (I set the keel weight as far forward to the boat as possible)

3.) Then I half hitch the braided line with a rubber band and I coil the loop around the release about two or three times until it's tight so the braid won't slide through the release. When it's rough, I'll use two rubber bands

4.) Then I let out about 100-150 feet of line so it planes to the side

5.) When a fish hits, we reel up to the board, break the rubber band(s), remove the planer board and reel hard to keep tension on the fish

I learned this technique from a Charter Capt. in Ludington, MI about 10 years ago and it works great.

Good luck,

- Chris

FLX,

Yes - we usually don't need to reel in the Dipsy's or the riggers. Usually, when a fish hits the core it comes to the surface and is so far back that when you start reeling it in, it is in the center of the boat and the board is a piece of cake to take off.

Good luck!

- Chris

FLX,

I run 3 colors, 5 color and ten color core exclusively with an in-line planer. The only limitation is if the waves are >2 feet b/c the rod really takes a beating.

I NEVER rig the board to slide down the core b/c I'm always concerned it'll slam the fish in the nose and knock it off. Here's how I rig it:

1.) Let out all the core until the knot is at the water line

2.) Attach my Church Walleye board to the braid backing (I set the keel weight as far forward to the boat as possible)

3.) Then I half hitch the braided line with a rubber band and I coil the loop around the release about two or three times until it's tight so the braid won't slide through the release. When it's rough, I'll use two rubber bands

4.) Then I let out about 100-150 feet of line so it planes to the side

5.) When a fish hits, we reel up to the board, break the rubber band(s), remove the planer board and reel hard to keep tension on the fish

I learned this technique from a Charter Capt. in Ludington, MI about 10 years ago and it works great.

Good luck,

- Chris How do you know you have a fish on? With no release??

Thanks, Ken

Troutman, I set copper & core rods on my dog house organizer box pointing straight across the transom and out off the stern and let the leader & colors or copper spool off (I let the line out w/ the clicker off in free spool position,while I tend to other things (with the copper it's best to thumb it till the copper is well started spooling off). Keep an eye on the reel, they will sometimes "catch" and stop spooling, also I have a bungee I hitch around the reel seat because sometimes things "happen". When the copper or the core is out w/ a bit of backing I just clip the power pro backing into the font and rear of the Church Walleye Board and let the board start spooling out w/ the clicker on. After the board has cleared the rigger and dipsies I stick the rod in the holder and let it spool out to the side while I tend to other things. I set my drags to tell me a fish is on, the board will create enough resisitance to set the hook. I don't like to put more than 200' copper out on inlines cause they drag the board in quite a bit, so I prefer to run the longer coppers out on my Otter boards using the big Scotty board releases.

Ken,

When a fish is on, things to look for:

1.) The rod starts bouncing like crazy "independently" of the crests and valleys of the waves

2.) The board starts planing further back

3.) Most common - I set my drags just loose enough so line peels off when there is a fish on

Good luck,

- Chris