Daiwa 47LC Problems

I have a few Daiwa 47LC reels that I'm using for downrigging / Dipsy use. I've spun 2 of these reels on big fish this week. You can tighten/loosen the drag but the shaft that the spool runs on is de-coupled from the spool and the spool just spins free independent of the shaft. Is this common and what is the fix? I cannot see anything that ties the spool to the shaft, its not splined or threaded...

Thanks,

You have found out why there are so many of these reels available... a new spool will run you about $20-25... but hand lining a big king is not fun... if you're running these reels, keep a spare reel unspooled in the cabin for backup to tie into.

Gotcha,

yes, I've had quite a few of those over the years and the drags are very jerky on em, never had any blow up on me though. They've all been retired and replaced with better reels over the years.

Tim

I am in the same boat I have a couple 47lc and I had the drags replaced but still the same problems. My wife was kind enough to battle a 10 pd coho yesterday and I was asking her what is taking so long. She said the reel wasnt' working. I gave a few smart remarks and she finally got it in. Well to my suprise upon the next fish I thought I had a monster on which turned out to be a 8 pd steely. Which took me way to long to get in. I am saving money for the 47 sealines what a difference. I am working on retiring my 47 to walleye fishing they don't seem to peel the drag - ha ha

Landshark,

Your time will come especially on wire divers.

Ive been running them for 2 and a half years now and paid 45 for them brand new. They could crap out today and what do they owe me? They seen alot of kings and held up well. I dont know what you want for 50 dollars, I guess go with the Tekotas and 180 a pop if you are having that much trouble

The Sealine Diawas have been awesome for me for 16 years. I have 8 27 lc's (all 8 are 16 years old), and 10 47lc's (2 - 10 years old) and the only problems I ever had was the drag clicker wearing out on 4 of the 27's. I called Diawa and they sent me new drag clickers as they broke free of charge. How can you beat that? I had the old Great Lakes 47lc's and like Tim said, the drags were choppy. They are long gone.

• 5 months later...
you must be talking about the old Great Lakes 47 lc's, because my sealine 47 lc's have been indestructable, going on 8 years with a couple of them now.

Tim

Same here, I have 19 of them onboard my boat, they have been run for ten years soon and works nothing but great.