1989 PennYan contender 245 - THINKING of buying, Any opinion

Harepie

Opinions re: PennYan 245 Contender & Chev305 mercruiser  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Opinions re: PennYan 245 Contender & Chev305 mercruiser

• Just feeling a little nervous before we make offer on boat. See my post same today.
    • 1) Would you buy a 1989 Pennyan 245 Contender if all seems good?
    • 2) Is the Chev 305 mercruiser a gas hog to point you would not want to fish with it?

We've never bought a boat this size nor this old. Looks great for the age. Current owners, father and son, local to us, they appear be up ad up about all info. Chev305 mercruiser, about 1,000 hrs. Shows normal wear and tear on pinstriping that husband wants to get it re-detailed to look prettier :) but it looks like it was well cared for. Does anyone have any concerns re: the Chev305 merc? Was used Lake Erie and we would continue to use in Lake Erie and hopefully take it Lake Ont. and thousand islands and Pa and OH of Lake Erie, for recreational and fishing. Asking price with all fishing gear and equipment is 12.5k. Hubby doesn't want nor care for the equipment or fishing gear, he has all his own and newer than this boat pkg. We are thinking of offering less than 12.5. includes trailer. Current boat we want to keep (for fishing) is 19ft lund. Hubby has 30+ yrs exp.

Any opinions, concerns, etc about boat or motor would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom's wife :)

I have a 230 hp 305 in my 22' Starcraft and it is a great motor. I burn about $30.00 in gas in a 6-8 hour trip. The 305 is not a gas hog as long as you stay out of the throttle. If the survey comes back good, I would do it in a heart beat. Penn Yanns are great boats.

We have a 1989 Penn Yan 245 Contender and love it. There are a few others on the board who have the model also and I would imagine they will say the same thing. We have the chevy 350 in ours and it doesnt burn that much gas. We usually fill up after each weekend and purchase 30-35 gallons on average. Pending a survey, go for it.

I own a 92 245 Contender, I suggest you take the boat for a sea trial,make sure you like the way it handles. The 245's tend to have a bit of roll to them, and the ride during a following sea is not that great. A survey is a must, lots of rotton stringers, transom's, motor mounts. The 305 will have plenty of power with the correct prop, 20-25 gallons for average walleye trolling trip on Erie.

We have a 1998 225 Outrage with a 5.0L / Alpha, nice combination. Troll at 2.0mph and has a top speed of 45mph. I would contact TJ at pennyanboats.com His family used to own the Penn Yan Boat company and let him guide you on the differences in the PY line up. He helped us choose the right boat, and we couldn't be happier. The 8' beam boats tended to roll more and not have the room the newer 8 1/2' beam boats do. Our 225 has a 8 1/2' beam with 6' 4" of headroom under the hardtop, with a flat floor under the top...that was the selling point for us. It still has a dog box but thats the price you pay for a boat you can trailer. We looked at a 245 at Arney's in the early spring this year, nice boat but the newer boats if you can find one in my opinion would be a better choice. The 5.0L like the others have said are great on fuel, but if you push it, it will use fuel...no different then any other boat.