I have been thinking about spooling some reels up with 400' of copper, I have heard people running it off their planer boards. How much copper can you pull behind a planer board? and also when attaching to the release i would assume you need to attach to the powerpro backing and not right to the copper? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

I pull my 600' on my otter boats with no real problem. As for your second question, there may be more than one answer given but I always hook my release to the backer. I use scotty releases and rubberbands. Some guys on the board are peicing in some mono between the backer and the copper and hooking the release to the mono.

Defiance,

I splice in 6' of 50lb. mono between my copper and backing to hook the release on. Like Gray Fox, I use the scotty releases minus the rubberbands. With the mono, the rubber bands are not needed. Otter boats will pull 500's and 600's but they do not run as true as normal.

Thanks for the info guys, one more question, Ive been looking on different sites to determine lure depth with the copper. The reel i have is a little smaller than what i would like for copper. From the line capacity it looks like i can fit 375' of 45lb copper or 500ft of 30lb copper. The 45lb looks like its 22ft per 100ft out, any idea what i can achieve with the 30lb?