A long time ago I used a cut bait rig to catch salmon on Ontario. Last year I was going thru my box and found the "heads" to the two rigs I had. I put new leader material on them and brought them out to Ontario with me. Problem was I was told there was no cut bait available anymore (remember I have been away since mid 80's, fishing mostly saltwater).

Anyway this year I see some posts about cut bait again. Is this something that will be available at most tackle shops again? I remember the method was quite effective when I used it. I wish I could remember what speeds I was using it at, lol. Guess a little trial and error should figure it out easily. Also did anyone try Berkley's imitation cut bait? They have a gulp version too. Thought I might try those for a bit.

Less than a month and hopefully some calmer weather patterns. I can't wait!

Thanks,

Spike

Spike, yes cut bait will be available at some of the tackle shops. Fish On has some out now that is VHS free. This is packed in salt. If you purchase cut bait, make sure you don't get any of the left over that is packed in oil. The premium grade does need trimmed a little to fit the heads you speak of. We did well with it last week out of the Oak, but it appears that it will be a 1 fish per strip bite. Where as with the old Rhy's Davis, one could take a few targets before changing it out. As far as speed, each boat fishes a little different but mine takes them on the cut bait, from 2.0 to 2.6 speed at the ball. Find the spoons to match the speeds and you can run them in amongst your spread while using the bait. Lighter blades such as the Stingers,Streaks, etc on the slower side, and NK's -Pirates etc at a little faster troll. Some say less is more while pulling the meat, and on certain days that is very true. Some days the targets want the meat behind an attractor and other days just run clean off a rigger or diver. You just need to find what it is on any given day. Hope this helps-Duane

you may wanna consider some of the imittation bait strips that are out there,such as

the big weenie brand strips.i tried his "imitator" color strip last yr. and did well with it.

not sure of the web site but you can get it off the gla.com site.

i will say that these strips are probably the closest thing you will find to the real stuff.

good luck! ;)

mike m

We have the Imposter strips, they work great. Our whole bait rigs ( super magnum or big pig rigs )use either strips or whole bait. Herring, alewives what ever you have. Guys have been running live bait ( minnows ) and doing well on the inland lakes also.Owner hooks, awesome rigs. Call anytime we can help you out, look for our ad at the top of the page, thanks guys, Big Weenie

www.bigweeniebrand.com

Stop by Jon's little salmon in Mexico. He has a life size cut out. He was taking her to the chicken shack the other day, he is nuts,lol. We are trying to shore up something with her right now that will be great for all the guys. You can always come here to and fish with us. She is the BW bartender. BW

I have fished the new cut bait along side FAMILIAR BITE and the kings never touched the junk fish on cut bait!!!!!!!!!! As a mater of fact we caught a 14 and a half pound steelie on the familiar bite today but after the derby hours to weigh a fish were over!!!!!!!!! We also have caught many 20 pound kings on the alewives!!!!!!!!! FAMLIAR BITE baby it works!!!!!!!!!!! The cut bait quality is poor and the FAMILIAR BITE baits are premium quality!!!!!!!

Turkey, the Fish On may not be the quality of the old Rhy's Davis, but it is in no way junk as in your opinion. We have taken many targets so far with the new premium grade as have others who have posted here. If you are not taking any shots with the cut bait, I would suggest that it is the way you are running it either in your program, speed or tuning of the bait head itself. -Duane

Yes I know how to run cut bait and have been running it since 96!!!!!!!! Just to let you know Chinook!!!!!!!! The fish just seem to prefer the FAMILIAR Bite over the cut bait!!!!!!! My program is catching fish like crazy out there!!!!!!! Iam on the lake four to five times a week so I have had plenty of time to play with the cut bait and the FAMILIAR bite!!!!!!!! When I am pulling big kings out of the water and alewives are popping out of their mouths and they had to eat just one more and it just happened to FAMILIAR BITE that opens my eyes!!!!!!!! Fish on bait falls apart and is brown with no scales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turkey, For your info- I can assure you that the Fish On is pulling targets as well. I have absolutely, positively no ties what so ever with the company but your initial post slammed this product as being junk-Your words not mine-In all honesty I've seen this many times in the past when someone gets on a site such as this, and raves about a product there is usually an agenda behind it. Share your program with the L.O.U. gang under the reports page if you are going to tout how great a product or program is. I'll say it again, having fished cut bait longer than you made mention, I'll take my chances with a 11" pearl fish scale, frog or white lightning flasher among many others, pulling a Davis cut bait head and would be willing to wager it will take the biggest king of the day for me-I wrote this up without the use of 1 exclamation mark at that- ! - oops missed that one-Duane

I think ther secret is the leader length from flasher to bait.

I catch a lot of fish on cut bait but they are always small and they blow it to pieces in one hit. It averages about a buck a fish and they are always 8 pounds.

It's cool on the slow days because fish will take it but just never anything over 20lb.

Meanwhile I run other stuff at the same depths and catch bigger fish.

I tried to set my leader length so it's comparabe to what a fly spins at behind a spin doctor, but still don't get many big fish on it.

I use the large reasers , I think they are ryes davis.

Stop by Jon's little salmon in Mexico. He has a life size cut out. He was taking her to the chicken shack the other day, he is nuts,lol. We are trying to shore up something with her right now that will be great for all the guys. You can always come here to and fish with us. She is the BW bartender. BW

I could use a good bartender on MY boat. :P:*:inlove::beer::beer::beer: