Hot Lure: NK28 NBK, Green Spindoctor with Green A-TOM-MIC Fly

Trolling Speed: 2.5 mph GPS

Down Speed: 2.3-2.8 mph

Boat Depth: 130-180 ft

Lure Depth: (125' rigger and 260' #2 Mag wire Diver

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Had the inlaws over to watch the little one, so Robyn and got a late start, but found some decent action when we first setup from 130-170 fow, the bites were pretty light, we were hooking up, but they were not staying very well. I could only get my 125' probe rigger with the NBK and the 260' wire diver to fire with all of the bites. Screen was decent from 100-130' down with bait and good king marks with a few random marks in the 50-70' range. There was a bit of an inverted deep break around 150', the deep temp was about 10' shallower inside than outside the break. I had anywhere from 46-57 degrees 125' down. The only confirmed big guy I hooked up was while clearing lines the wire took off and I gave another hammer fly to the fish gods... two straight trips, looked like another gill plate job... They're there, I just missed the morning feed!

Anyway, looks like a bit of a quesntionable weekend, I probably won't be back out, but good lusk to everyone!

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the great reports - glad to hear you're back on the water!!

I noticed you had two flasher break offs the past two days and I'm just curious how you store your flasher/flies? We had a breakoff a few weeks ago from a nice king, and it broke off the leader between the flasher and fly. Typically, I "wrap" my fly leader around the body of the Spinny and hook the fly to the side of the flasher to keep it from unravelling. However, I've noticed that the hooks are so sharp that they "nick" the leader during storage making it prone to breakage.

Just my $.02.....

Thanks again for the reports and a nice place to start this weekend!

- Chris

Thanks for the excellent post. :yes:

This is very helpful for planning the next day as I will be taking my niece from Florida tomorrow morning. She has yet to catch the kings as she has caught the bows and brown trouts during her nearly one month stay with us.

Tight lines everyone!

Chris,

I have been storing my rigs very similar to what you are talking about and agree that it might be a cause. But that being said, I'm a fanatic about checking leaders before setting up and during fishing especially after landing fish, so it's tough for me to believe that I missed a nick on consecutive days, but it's equally difficult to believe that the leaders got under the gillplates on two consecutive days as well. Both breaks were pinches in the leaders with frays just above a few inches from the flies...

I was down at the boat yesterday and went to the river for lunch with the better half and I unwrapped all of my flies from the flashers just to eliminate one variable.... thanx.

Hope you managed to get out over the weekend.