First Week of May Fishing

First, dates on the calendar are only a rough estimate. Not sounding to sinical here, but each year could be somewhat different. Granted, a certain date from one year to the next could give an app. idea. Having said that, I tend to agree with Yankee on this. If you would have asked this in mid Jan. the response would have been different due to the relative mild winter we had up until that point. But this unusually cold weather as of late, will have the targets piled up from the Niagara area -west at the time you are looking at in my opinion.

Tackleman Welcome to the site.From the info I got from this bd.They just let the Lake Eire ice boom go so there is going to be alot of cold water coming down into the bar area.So we need some warm weather to warm up the water.You will need a canaden license if you go west of the bar I'm not sure how much or where you can get them.But there was a site that some one posted awhile back but I belive it was lost maybe someone can repost it for you.You will love this site Great bunch of guys here.

When the ice leaves Lake Erie, the warmer waters from Ohio follow it and flow down the Niagara River onto the Bar. That's what turns the Bar on as Lake Ontario warms up slower, probably due to its greater depth and volume. Right now there's still a lot of ice on Lake Erie where the majority of it melts although some of it goes downriver. The cement carrier English River is stuck in the ice off Buffalo today waiting for the Neah Bay to arrive to break a channel into Buffalo.