Hot Lure: cowbells - peanuts

Trolling Speed: 2.1-2.8

Down Speed: (1.8 mph)

Boat Depth: 130-155

Lure Depth: very close to bottom

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We booked local charter - RODMASTER to help us learn all about catching lakers. Had numerous hit however the bites did not result in effective hook ups. Some adjustments were made to increase the tension to the release and results were immediately realized after we made successful consecutive hook ups.

We boated a derby fish - 23# which placed in 4th place on LOC.

71806887.th.jpg

Barry described catching this huge laker as if he was reeling in a bowling ball. Took him good 15 minutes to land this trophy laker.

We have paid good money to learn as much as we can. Sharing my experience on this board is a plus because of all of the great things I have learned from this site and I hope to contribute something to the board. In short, the lakers are out there and can be caught most of the season using cowbells and peanuts. The lakers dont necessarily fight the same as kings or bows however some due respect should be given to these bottom dwellers for their fighting ability to stick to the bottom of the lake.

Hope everyone at LOU had a safe fishing and some success with the derby. Tight lines.

Good choice for a laker charter. The other guys in Rochester can put you on them pretty well too. It is not too difficult a program. Later in the season you can get some dandy ones suspended out deeper and grab some nice steel and kings at the same time with a spoon, dodger or flasher fly program. We find bigger fish off the stacks on the bottom this time of year and Bradocks can be a pretty good mixed bag spot as summer progresses.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Bruce - You made a very good suggestion about the set up as this will broaden the hunt by targeting for more species. I have a good set of cowbells on my boat and I have never used them in the past. I will definitely incorporate the cowbells in my future trips.

Hans - yes, it is worth the price. I am now in my third season trolling for fish. There is no short cut except to learn from seasoned fishermen, charter captains and even better the LOU members like you and others.

Barry will be putting this fish up on the wall. Earlier he has lost a possible derby fish and I was glad he was able to redeem himself with this 23# pig.

As far as fishing the lakers off Russel..... cowbell on bottom and run meat rigs behind large flashers higher up for salmon as they are tolerant of lower speeds required for the bells.