HELP on "fishing temp" for the weekend of 7/17-7/19

Hello everyone,

I was "on call" this past weekend so I only managed to get out for two hours last night, with only one fish. My Subtroll has been acting a little funny lately, but I had a question about fishing "temperature" this past weekend.

I realize the strong W/NW winds over the weekend brought a lot of warm water to the south shore of the lake, but I could not find anything colder than 64 degrees down 155' over 225' of water last night. I also noticed a lot of fish were caught in 80-160 fow over the weekend. For those of you catching fish, were you disregarding temp., or is it my probe that isn't reading temp correctly. For those of you catching fish in the shallower waters (and presumably warmer water), what were you looking for - bait, marks on your graphs, etc. to make your trips successful?

FWIW I was looking at all of the temperature transect data already on the Great Lakes Coast Forecasting website.

Thanks for any help,

- Chris

A lot of fish were out of temp this weekend. I was reading 62 degrees down to 100 or 120' and then there was a break where it dropped down to 58 degrees, down 150' I had 48 degrees. I personally don't have what it takes to fish below 130', but we took plenty of fish down 90'-120' and 350' to 400' out on the dipseys.

Nick

Chris,

We had another WNW Saturday afternoon and Sunday which liekly drove temps down even further, but at 125' on Friday I was reading 45-57 degrees and actually warmer the further out I went... there was no thremocline just a thermal break, so I surmise your probe was fine...

In 200 to 300' feet of water off of Fairhaven 7-19-09, we had 42 degrees 150' down. Stayed 64 degrees to 100'. Your unit may be not reading correctly in deep water. Were you fishing out I-Bay?

Thanks everyone,

I was fishing north of I-Bay on Sunday evening.

I spoke with Moor Electronics today and they said you can actually run the probe with bare metal cable and it will still work properly down to about 50' or so. If it was malfunctioning, the temp. guage would start flashing or shut down altogether,not read a constant temp....

Sounds like the temp. was true and the fish were near the thermal break or "out of temp."

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

- Chris