State of the LOU (April '07)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to keep the board up-to-date with the current site. At this point in time, pretty much all bugs have been worked out and the site is running fast and smooth. Some things you may have noticed include:

1.) Long URL links are automatically shortened

2.) Horizontal scroll bars now appear at the bottom of the forum for posts extending off the right side

3.) Classified section broken up into Buy & Sell subsections

4.) Mozilla browser download button added (cause Firefox is faster and more secure than Internet Exploder)

5.) Addition of the customized LOU Map for local area bays & inlets.

Phewww! Ok, so with that said I wanted to introduce the next "BIG PROJECT" for LOU. This came as a request via a couple LOU members. The argument is that sometimes "posts" are written that are very long and infact shouldn't even be considered posts but rather articles. We have an AMAZING group of some of the most respected fisherman on the lake here on this board. The problem is that sometimes posts/articles are written that should not carry a time-stamp. They are extremely valuable pieces of information (often lengthy) that are lost amongst the flurry of topics posted every day on LOU.

The proposal is something we call "LOU Articles". This would be a collection of the most valuable fishing tutorials, secrets, and general fishing information written by fisherman, for fisherman. These articles would be broken down into categories such as "Trolling, Salmon Fishing, Brown Trout Fishing, ect." easily accessible to all anytime. Articles often extend a couple pages in length and would not make sense to post as a "forum message".

Eventually, given some time I think we could build the most comprehensive collection of fishing articles relevant to Lake Ontario ever assembled. Anyone who is a registered member on this message board is eligible to write for "LOU Articles". Once an article is written, people will be given the opportunity to comment on the article as a way of adding additional information to it.

To build such a library takes a lot of time, coding and money and thus I appreciate your patience while we investigate the idea further.

... and that is the current State of the LOU :)