Walleye & Muskies on Chautauqua Report

Hi LOU,

Just got back from my weekend trip to Chautauqua Lake where I had the chance to do some esox angling between the rain/wind storms that were blowing through.

Lapa_Musky50.jpg

This was my biggest of the trip. Of course I forgot my ruler that day so I can't tell you exactly how big she was so judge for yourself. One quick picture and back in the water she went to get even bigger!

IMG_0045.jpg

This one was 40"

IMG_0048.jpg

This one was 36"

P1000327.jpg

This was the 26" (6.5 lb) walleye that took one of our musky baits.

P1000330.jpg

Smile :D

I also had the pleasure of meeting Brian & Lisa - the owners of the Happy Hooker Bait Shop. They run a first class business over there and couldn't have been more helpful with setting me up with the right lures to get the job done out there. They have the best selection for musky gear in the area along and also carry a wide selection of gear for just about every other fish that swims in that lake - I would highly recommend paying them a visit if you are ever in the area. Look for their new website coming soon... :yes::clap:

If anyone knows the results of the Musky Inc. tournament held last weekend, please post! I would love to know how I would have stacked up. The tournament proceeds went to benefit the musky hatchery there.

Till next time :yes:

Nice catch blueye....we have a tourney this coming saturday at chautauqua.read on...these are some impressive #`s.maybe see some of you there..!post from capt.larry

First 3 place teams all registered 7 fish each. This was a team, total points tournament, not biggest fish.

1st Place: Joe and Toni Ferraro

2nd Place: Paul and Dave Fec

3rd Place: Adam and Bill Andresky

There were at least two teams that caught 6 fish each that didn't place... Frank and Jacob Alcorn and Dale Wiley and John Ryhal.

50 people fished the tournament and 49 fish were turned in, but there were more caught that didn't get turned in. Several mid to high fourties released.

Very close between the top 5 teams. Probably about a 35 incher for anybody or just a little bigger fish here or there could have changed the order around. Probably the best, competitive, closest points, tournament I have fished. Great party Friday night at Nick Pflum's and a very fun tournament.

I heard there were over 60 muskies total caught & released in the two days counting the subs,add that to the 17 muskies caught on Friday thats 77 muskies in 3 days.That is good fishing for muskies! I wonder how many will be caught at the July 25th Cash Tourney. Hopefully one of the Three Rivers Members will give us an update on the sizes of the muskies caught & released in the Tournament.I can't wait for this coming Saturdays Tourney,I'm not fishing in it because I'm collecting the Cash to hand over to the Winner and cooking hotdogs on the grill for when they all come in.Don't forget Jim Bortz's Seminar Friday July 24th 7:00 p.m. at Happy Hookers Bait Shop in Lakewood on NY Route 394.We will have a 50/50 Raffle for the Chautauqua Lake Bait Fish Fund as well

Thanks for the info Sol! Those are some really great numbers - good to see. I would love to fish in the tournament this weekend but I will be visiting my buddy down in Rhode Island fishing for some Strippers. Hopefully they be on down there like the muskies were at Chautauqua last weekend. Good luck with the tournament and let me know how the turnout is as well as the results of course :yes:

Chad

Hey chad...looks like you were trolling? i hear the north is turned on.Any particular depth they seem to hold at?(send me a pm)sounds like it`s gonna be a good tourney/turnout.A few from the rochester and surrounding areas are making the trip.Thanks

Bob

Yes Bob - the north was very good on Sunday (not so much on Saturday) last week. We did mainly trolling with Legend baits. Firetiger and Natural Perch color were the hottest for us. Troll speeds were between 4 and 6 mph and we had our lures out 100-150 feet (down 22-30ft). Took the biggest one back only 10 feet in the prop wash though. Best depths for us were 35-45 feet. We keyed in on the bait and held tight on that once we found it (tight figure eight trolls). This worked really well and helped keep us from going into the "no-mans-land" trolls. Sometimes it takes several passes over the same spot to get them to go.

Good luck out there guys! Wish I could join you this weekend - let me know how things turn out. Find that 50!

Chad

Well this is one hell of a way to find out u have lost your fishing partner. Good thing I have a back up!

So if Wendy sends all you guys home crying u can blame Solgrande. Unless Wendy is in a really good mood and decides to cook. We will see. In any case good luck all.

Ohhhh yea those are some nice fish Chad. Sure hope to have your kinda luck!

I can't wait for this coming Saturdays Tourney,I'm not fishing in it because I'm collecting the Cash to hand over to the Winner and cooking hotdogs on the grill for when they all come in.
This is why you use the quote feature. So people know you are repeating someone else and they dont think they have lost their partner Solgrande!
We keyed in on the bait and held tight on that once we found it (tight figure eight trolls). This worked really well and helped keep us from going into the "no-mans-land" trolls. Sometimes it takes several passes over the same spot to get them to go.

Hey Chad I am interested in how you set up your lines for the figure 8 troll. I've seen them do that but every time I make sharp corners my lines get tangled. Your insight on the technique would be appreciated.

Hey Lee!

My setup was pretty simple. I have two 8-foot shimano heavy rods that I run straight out on either side of the boat (getting them as far away from each other as possible) and one rod only back 10-20 feet in the propwash. Our out rods had on average between 100-135 foot of line out. Once we found the bait or a spot/hole we liked then we would go through the spot making sure to hit all sides (directly through the spot, outside the spot and inside the spot).

Surprisingly, many times the holes and bait pods would look better on the graph just to the outside of them (as oppose to going directly through them). We would then go a quarter mile to half mile past and loop back. The weather really wasn't favorable for that weekend and so when I did find fish, I tried to stay tight on them. Our turns were sharp but not crazy to where we would tangle any lines. As long as both lines out were of similar distance (i.e., within 20-30 feet of each other) then your odds of tangling them were slim to none. When you get into trouble is when you let one side out 100+ more feet than the other and try making those sharp turns....

Or simply take Ray's advice :lol:

Hope this helps ;)

Chad

That is why i put post from capt.larry @ end of 1st para tough guy,(next time i will use quote though).Now let`s go catch some fish!!!!!!!that doesn`t mean you nitro.lol :lol:

Hey nitro....when u gonna be there????we will be there friday morning,do a little fishing and scouting then setup camp.sent you a pm

Good info blueEye

Uh oh Sol, looks like like Chad let the cat out of the bag!! yeah, guess ya better go practice then, LOL.

I took friday off so im hoping to be there by noonish and test the water myself but it might b midafternoon as im liable to get pulled into something before I can get out the door...ahh the joys of working from home...Not!

PM replied - you and Lee up for a pint after the seminar?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thanks for the reply Chad. Good Stuff! I know all about the no mans land trolling runs. :lol: However I have seen guys doing very tight circles and eights. I wonder if downriggers would allow for the tight turns at high speeds?

Hey Ray thanks for your advice too I'll try that when I see you fishing near me. :rofl:

Sorry Solgrande guess I souldnt be reading after a long night of work. But then you day guys wouldn't know anything about that. :no:

And for you Nitro you go ahead and get all bozzed up the night before the tourney, its all part of the master plan see. :clap:

Lee -

I did see several guys fishing downriggers at high speeds while I was out there. I have downriggers on the boat but didn't give it a try last weekend. I am sure it would work as long as you can tighten your releases enough to support the high troll speeds and huge lures typically associated with fishing Muskies. Be sure you are running heavy enough line so it don't snap at the release if/when you do get a hit :lol: Let me know if you give it a try and how it works for you.

I am really pulling for LOU to give a showing at the tournament this weekend! Sorry I couldn't join you but do LOU proud out there fellas! :yes::beer:

Can't wait to hear the results.

Chad

downriggers for muskie is gaining acceptance and it works. I know of 2 boats on waneta who are very successful and a recent issue of Musky Hunter had an article on it. I beileve most are shortlining behind the ball like a foot or so. I believe the ball (or its water disturbance) attracts the fish and bouncing bottom with the ball when they're on bottom in shallower water fires em up...

there is some cool underwater video on you tube showing skees molesting the baits- lots more action underwater than just the strikes we know of, follows/bumps/nudges swimming alongside. cool stuff!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png