Any tips on how to loosen the gear oil drain plug??

Other than running the whole unit over with a bulldozer?? JUST kidding, but this is a real pain in the butt. I have sprayed with WD40, but it won't budge. I was able to get the top plug loose, but the bottom will not move. This is the first gear oil change since I have had the boat, so I don't know how long it has been since last change. Also, does anyone know about how much oil it should take??

Thanks for any tips.

Mike

get a PROPER sized screwdriver (big) if you have already stripped the head a bit take a small scribe and try to freshen the slot for a good fit .as your pushing in tight with the screwdriver just about to srtrip the head again have a 2nd person tap firmly on end of handle with plastic hammer or small hammer just dont try to drive it through at the same time as your twisting the screw head(slot)..it should pop free

Just get a manual impact driver with a screw driver tip that fits tightly into the slot & give it a rap on the end with a hammer (or several raps), & it should come out easily. The manual impact driver turns when hit with a hammer. They are typically used to remove motorcycle case screws which are normally Phillips heads, but they work just the same on slotted screws. The hammer strike causes very good lockup in the screw head while the bit is forced to turn by the spiral grooves in the impact driver.

If the screw driver slot on the drain plug is damaged, be sure to replace it. You could use some never seize on the drain plug when you replace it to prevent future problems.

Good luck!

Use a square shank screwdriver. Push like no tomorrow, put a small wrench on the shank and turn. This way your concentrating more on keeping driver blade engaged than turning the driver.

Don't know how big your motor is. Pump oil in thru bottom hole till it comes out the top, then pump in a little more.

Don't forget to check the gasket/washer on that screw. Sounds like someone overtightened it, to overcome a bad gasket.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, I had a choice of the proper screw-driver or a nice impact set for the same price, so i went with the impact driver. They have a really nice set at Autozone for $9.99 and it comes with 4 bits, 2 slotted, 2 phillips, and they are big in size...(You will have to do a search on their website for the part #, because they will not know what you are talking about no matter how long you describe it!!!!!!!)

Thanks again,

Mike