Slide Diver Rod and set up?

I bought a slide diver a few weeks ago and tried on my med light downrigger pole that was spooled with 30# big game. I was not impressed but I am sure that is not the ideal set up for it. I was considering using my Diawa 47LC that is not in use and spooling it with some power pro line since it has smaller diameter than mono and the power pro has less stretch to it. What pound test would be best in this case and what type of rod would be best also?

I use 30# Power Pro or Fireline with 30 yards of 30# Big Game to the final leader. My final leader is 6-8 feet of flourcarbon after the bead and swivel (poundage is based upon the species for which I'm trolling).

You want to use a regular dipsy rod for this, not a down rigger rod. I use the large ring and heavy weight and I get much deeper than with #1 dipsies on wire when using the same settings. I seem to be getting 15 feet deeper with the slide divers rigged this way when running similar settings and set back (300 feet out).

Chowder's choice of 65# PP may reduce the fleas but, the 30# will go deeper and is plenty strong. The mono provides sufficient stretch so no snubber is needed.

I have 10'6" wire dipseys on the outside usaually set on a #3 setting. I have extra pole holders on my mag 10's. I may be able to set it up in there possibly on a 1 or 2 setting with out getting tangled up. I only purchased one Slide diver becasue I wanted to set how and if it would work better than my conventional wire line dispsys.

My experience suggests that slide divers don't move as far to the side as do regular dipsies. I may be wrong but, that's my experience. I tried several times last season to deploy a high slide diver outside of a wire dipsy set on 1.5. The result was less that satiafying (unless I intended to play twister.) Instant FUBAR.

Inside of the wire may work OK. I may try this myself on a boring day when I need something to keep my hands occupied. Let us know how it works.

I use my super braid slide divers to target fish in the upper part of the water column. I set the reg slide diver w/o ring on 3 and run out 130-170' and have had zero problems w/ my wire mag dipsy divers @ 160-240' out @ 1.5. I also put together a pair of wire slide diver lite bite rigs w/ the large ring, I only use a 4' final leader on these because my goal w/ these rigs was to eliminate the hassle of the long dipsy leader in my small boat. They seem to work fine but the extra hassle of setting the diver/leader has made me favor my traditional wire dipsy combos for the most part since it's much quicker to get them back working after boating a fish or changing out.