Disappointing Pro-Am but AMAZING LOC!!!

(SpoonFed) : Fishing Report

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

The Sodus Pro-Am for the second year was a big disappointment for our boat. It's not the tournament that's the issue. The tournament is very well run and we have a great time fishing in it and look forward to it every year. It's our luck that needs to change for this tournament. This year the waves on Saturday Morning were a little more than our crew wanted to manage. We came in early Sat morning due to 6 fters with one fish (8lbs). Apparently we were bigger cowards than the rest of the fleet. We were the only ones to come in early!!???? The decision to motor in early, in hindsight, was a good move. Sunday we fished till the motor decided to s*@# the bed. Fuel pump! Had to limp in at 1100 rpm with 3 fish (24, 20 and 8lbs). That’s as all fuel pump could keep up with. Even though we haven’t produced yet in the PRO-AM, we’ll be back next year to give it another whack.

Now the LOC on the other hand was fantastic. We took Friday off to pre-fish for the Pro-Am. The word was that the fish were being caught in 150 ft. So we headed north out of the channel in Sodus to 150 ft. We fished for a while and caught a couple fish. We decided to try out deeper and pointed the boat north. Zig zagging our way out we hooked into a fish in 320 ft of water. It hit a rig we had just put in the water and dropped it down to 92 ft, deeper than we had fished all day. The fish hit the lure and just started screaming out line. 300 feet, 400 feet, 500 feet. We had just re-spooled the reels the weekend before so we knew how much line was on there (750ft). The fish took no time to hit 600 feet on the line counter. I started to get a little nervous at this point, due to the fact that the fish wasn’t slowing down. I yelled up to Pat to start turning the boat, this fish was intent on spooling the reel. Pat yelled back to ask how much line I had left a second time and the counter was at 675 ft now. He said, “I though you just said a moment ago that you were at 600 feet?†I said, “ A moment ago I was!†:o At this point I had to put my thumb on the reel to slow him down. Ouch does that burn. :whew: Once I finally got him stopped it took another 30 minutes to get him in the boat. As it hit the deck we all looked at each other and said, "Damn that’s a big fish." Weighed it on the boat an it was almost 30 lbs. Then there was a Chinese firedrill to get everything picked up and out of the water to get this fish in to the weigh in station. It seemed to take forever to get to the dock. Got it on the scales and it weighed in at 29lbs 7 oz. 2 ounces larger than the leader. Then the shock set in that we were actually leading the LOC. WOW! We now only had two days to sweat it out. It ended up holding up even with all the pro’s fishing the same waters that this fish came from. It hit a black Challenger flasher with a glow ladderback trailing a green crinkle fly.

I'd like to say thanks to Chris from Jolly II for joining our team again this year. Great Job! :yes:

(add pictures and any other details not captured above here)

46659638.th.jpg

77653803.th.jpg

Wait,that monster was just a warm up,next year you'll catch an even bigger one.

Congrats on your win and more power to you for being able to tame that monster!! :party::party::party::party:

Thanks guys for all the at-a-boys!!! Means a lot coming from quality fishermen like you all.

Being part of team that took the grand prize in the LOC is something I've been dreaming about since I was 10. I can't believe it actually happened. What's next??? As Dave said above we got to get our heads put together and come up with a good ProAm finish.

I've been fishing since with my Dad since I was 4, and have loved it since. I love fishing the tournaments, just wish I could do all of them. Thanks to everyone for making it fun. The best money I spend is on fishing and fishing the tourneys, and of course the little bracelets and stuff I get my wife to insure I get a kitchen pass every weekend. lol

Thanks Pat and Dave for letting me join you guys again this year, let's get another fish on the board next month in the fall LOC.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I agree, it's always been a dream to get the big one in the ESLO/LOC. I thought we had our 5 minutes of fame last year when we got the second place brown. It's been great fishing with you, I hope we do it for years to come. Question is, if we buy an autopilot with the winnings, will it respond to requests to make a hard right when we're almost spooled?

Pat

Chris, Pat and Dave,

Congratulations on a nice fish and taking the summer cash.... I am sure you guys will have more finishes like this in the future.. I think you have the right combination working over the last year so keep up the good work... Unfortunately for you guys is that I am going to try my hardest to best you guys this Fall LOC...... Dale