Dunkirk-7/20 - 22

walteye

After hearing some crummy reports while I was still six hours away driving to Dunkirk-I wanted to turn around. Good thing I didn't !

Monday on the water at 6 am and and a six pounder in the boat by 7 am! 10 colors lead core and a 2 oz. snap weight pulling a large Blue/silver chatter stick. Marked SO much bait on the bottom with marks all through it. I thought that I was going to have a good day-but trolled with everything and every depth in the book for another 7 hours with just lake trout and sheepshead to show for it. Talking to my wife on the phone-complaining about the bad day I was having and my board line went off-told my wife "fish on" and hung up. That was the start-5 fish in the next hour and half! Throwing back 7 and 8 pounders! Monday I ended up with a total of 8 eyes. Tuesday in the rain was even better-pulled a 9.9 and 10 1/2 # eye to go along with a total of 10 eyes! Monday I couldn't get a bite on a harness-almost every fish was on a harness (blk/purple and watermelon/copper) on Tuesday.Wednesday I thought I was locked in-got one rod in the water and it fired before I could get it in the holder! I lost my first 2 fish of the week that day-ended up with only 3 eyes to the boat-and none were over 4 pounds. For the week-regular Renoskys in blue/silver-brown/orange and purple/silver. Large and small chattersticks in blue/silver and of course the harnesses. Fished 90-110 fow and 10 color lead with a 2 oz. snap weight (sometimes)-and 5 color lead with a 3 oz. snap weight. Large slide divers 2 setting back 175'.

Walteye

John-thanks for all your info the past couple of weeks. Just like you -every thing was deep-deeper and deepest!! Best depth of water was the 90-110' range-and just about as deep as you could get. I didn't bring my riggers with me-so it was lead and snaps-along with big slide divers with the heaviest weights that come in the package. I couldn't believe it-but the slide divers on a 0 setting I ws marking at 80' back 100' !!!! Major clouds of bait-the 10 pounder spit up SO much bait (do you have an idea what they are eating-spitting up white flesh and bones only-nothing new and whole). I was glad I weighed that fish on the water-when I brought it in the belly was HUGE-at the dock the live well was loaded with 3 handfuls of bait.

Please keep the info coming-I was hoping to meet you when I was up there.

Thanks again.

Wlteye

Walteye:

Your welcome. No problem sharing information...especially this year...we need

all the info we can get. The general consensus here is that they are gorging

on smelt....we had one that spit up a very fresh 6incher!

Mother Nature parked us for 2 days....but hopefully out Tues or Wed.....

John

Walt.. Glad to hear that you did well out there! As you know.. we didn't fare so well in the four days prior. We did see the neatest waterspout that I've ever seen.. and up close too! My golf game really improved while we were there also. Hopefully, next trip out we'll spend a bit more time on the water! Probably be late August before we can make it back out. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris-thanks for the help up there! If you are still logging in I guess the waterspout wasn't too-too close !! If Fred was on the water-I think he attracts them ! When you are heading up in August-give me a shout and if I can help in any way-I will.

Nice talking to you-best of everything to your family.

Walteye