single or three way ARRR

Hey all,

I do alot of salmon fishing at Quabbin res in Mass for landlock salmon and my preference has always been to change out the trebles off the spoons I use to single salmon hooks. The theory being that it is easier to release fish, less tangles in nets, and supposedly the fish cannot get "leverage" :lol: to pry against the other two hooks resulting in more fish staying hooked once the hook is set. I know a single hook sure does swing a lot easier on the split ring. Just curious as to what you guys up here at the Big O think. I was thinking about switching over my DW spoons to singles before I come up. I'll be making my first trip up there in Aug. I can't wait to try my luck out on those kings. BTW does anybody use the evil-eye spoons up there.

Tight Lines to all

Check the action of your spoons , changing the hooks may change the action of the spoons. We have good hookups with the trebles. Evil-eyes work well on days they want a slower troll. We use them when the lake is rough and we can't get the speed right. With a short lead , I think we are jigging as much as trolling :lol:

Some guys change to singles, some don't. I change most of mine to the singles. However be forewarned, action will change & you may have to tune them to get it back. If you don't tune them, they'll wobble good at slower speeds but spin out at the normal speeds.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I guess it all still boils down to watching your lure boat side to see if it is working like it should at the speed you will be running. Also you can speed up and slow down with the lure boatside to get the lures best speed range where it will work. 1.8mph - 2.8mph or whatever works then as long as you stay in the range you know that at least that lure will be working properly. :yes: Still not sure if singles really hold better than trebles? Jury is still out on this one.

Tight lines to all and thanks for the input.

Phil