waneta musky 7/26/09

we got to waneta at around 7...it was about 9:30 when we caught him around 17 ft down, trolling at about 3 mph

dadsmusky.jpg

I bought a rapala super shad rap at wal-mart thinking it will probably never work....but we needed some bigger lures for musky. Out of the 3 trips we've taken it has hooked into 2 fish and i was suprised to see it worked. We ended up going to lamoka at about 10:30 and caught a few pickerel and bass...

Nice to see u are doing so well troutmaster. Are you releasing your fish? :yes:

It is very disturbing to see yet another Musky on land. :no:

Guys the Musky are alpha predators and therefore a low density fish, very vunerable to over fishing.

On behalf of all the Musky guys I know I beg, Please be carefull with these fish and release them after a quick pic.

I have found out that a perfect Replica can be made for $12 an inch. A small price to keep this fishery alive for furture generations.

Check out this site, this guy is highiy recommended.

http://www.eagleriverfishingguidesreferral.com/

Quote from site:

I strongly suggest "Rick Lax"; Rick is a member of Muskies Inc. and has moved in a great direction to do a replica at the same price he would do a skin mount. End quote

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

hoppy

I do believe that is a pure in your pic. many of the southern tier and PA rivers do have a population of naturally reproducing pures and from what i've read the chemung is no exception. for whatever reason they do seem to fare better in sustaining themselves in the rivers in these parts (vs lakes). don't feel too bad about the deep hooked fish...its fishing...if we all cared THAT much we wouldn't be fishing for em at all. all anyone can ask is that we all give em the best shot a survival, but (stuff) happens...I felt the same way when we clubbed a marlin this spring in Cabo but the line got its gills too and was literally pouring out. I felt quite bad about that too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Very cool Georged glad to here you guys understand, there seem to be some that dont and for those that do (including you) have a reponsibility to try and help them understand the importance of catch and release for the Musky fishery as a whole. Hoppy I understand your dilemma as well. Last month I left a lure in one when my line broke cause I was in to much of a hurry and did not check my line after boating a fish. I still feel like a jerk for that. :@ So congrats on your catches and good luck Guys. :yes:

three years ago @ chaut i deeply hooked a smaller fish (around 32-33") on a bucktail. cut hooks and fish was bleeding really bad out of the gills, couldn't right itself when attempting to release it. tried for probally 1/2 hour and it didn't seem to be getting any better. the fish was done. too small to keep- had to leave it. what would u have done? so i know what its like also. only time this happened. really bothered me. i hope i never find out what musky tastes like, but in this matter it would have been a much better option than putting it back in the water dead. i release everything but walleyes!

You are right Zach there is no option in that situation. I guess its like Nitro said if we really cared that much we would not fish for them at all. :( I guess we just have to do the best we can to minimize our effect on the population as a whole and try to educate those who dont understand the delicate nature of this beast! :yes:

there may or may not have been a guy named zach down on waneta last light that went 2 for 3 on a wiley and tuff shad. one decent 42" (super clean fish!!!) and one barely making 30". 6-10pm trolling

leaving work friday early, nitro, solo- between us i hope we can bang one- plan on getting down there around 3pm. call me if you get one i'll take a pic for you- good luck-

sounds good...i`m also gonna give lamoka a shot,i`d like to probe some of those features over there.so i may be there longer,we`ll see.I had planned on hitting seneca for some northerns on the way home(mid lake around starkey)or out of sampson not sure.