MEAT LEADER LENGTHS

There are several Anglers having questions about meat leader length recomendations. Here's our findings when running FAMILIAR BITE whole alewives and some proven meat leader lengths to get you started with a recommended speed at ball of 1.8 - 2. Our FAMILIAR BITE whole alewife pre rigged daisy chains (Tango's) are tied to match a standard fish catching leader length, based on blade used. For example; our 2Tango (2 skirts) daisy chain is better suited with an 8" blade having a leader length of 34" and our 3 Tango (3 skirts) daisy chain for 11" - 13" blades, having a leader length of 53". These leader lengths also apply to clean leaders (no skirts) and from swivel (no flasher). One of our Michigan Pro-Staff and a serious Canadian meat fishermen by the name of Big D, has prompted us to test a 4 Tango (4 skirts) for 11" to 13" blades, having a leader length of 72". All these lengths are great starting points but ultimately the angler determines what's best, based on the day. PM or e-mail us for our whole bait; care, proper rigging and instructions with lead length for downrigger,dipsy,copper....

Photo shown is one of our Pro-Staff (Todd Choate) A.K.A "Turkey Todd" using a 34" to 36" clean leader off an 8" Bechhold. It produces Big One's too!

GLTS

92114320.th.jpg

Thank you -you just confirmed my suspicion on another post regarding cut bait of a week or 2 ago .I made mention that T.T had agenda when he slammed another product as being "junk" I have no problem with some of these staffers promoting their sponsors products.None what so ever- But when they come off as slamming someone else's product and says how great his program is, but yet won't reveal any details about it, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it for what it is-I know of some who use the Famliar Bite and have had success with it. But I also know many who will continue to use the cutbait, and put plenty of targets in the boat. To each his own, but being a business man myself, I will garner all the respect for another competitor when their reps are not afraid to say a good word or 2 about an individual or particular item-But when they bad mouth something or someone else,and offer no explanation-Sorry don't agree with that,for your reps are a voice piece your product itself-Just giving you my opinion-Duane

dont forget the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s

GLTS;

Thanks for the post. I have been trying different lead lengths and this post does clear up a few questions that I had.

FAMILIARBITE2-2.jpg

FAMILIARBITE3-1.jpg

I would like to see a picture of a fly tipped with FAMILIAR BITE. Anyone out there have one? I hear Capt. Ernie Lantiegne, Fish Doctor, has been tipping flys and has had great success with this method also. How is this done?

Mark

very well said Duane, unfortunately this is all too typical! I know many of us in my group will not use GLTS proudcts (weather they catch fish or not) because of these issues. not very good representation imho....... Dave

Mark (REEL JERKS),

A picture speaks a thousand words. That's a great photo of one of our rigged baits. Could you e-mail them to me? I would like to include those along with our How To Manual via e-mail to our customers.

I also would like to thank our Pro-Staff, whom I feel are some of the finest fishermen on the Great Lakes, for taking the time to test and relay these standard lead length; in hope of helping others.

Sincerely;

Walter Thompson

GLTS

Mark, If i remember right ernie has been cutting strips from the whole bait and attaching them to the flies by using a piece of wire that wraps around the eye of the single hook to hold the meat in place. I've been using meat with our flies for 3 years now and what i found to work is to salt the strips overnight and just use the tandem hooks to keep the meat in place. The new cut bait works perfectly as the strips are tough enough.

Mark;

Capt. Ernie Lantiegne (http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com) was nice enough to send me some studio shots of the Alewife Sushi Flies rigging. He said he would have sent a Sushi rig in a King's mouth but the strip is usually destroyed by time you get the fish in. I know from speaking with Capt. Ernie, this set up is the differance from Kings nipping at your flies or attacking them.

84031154.th.jpg

Filleting one of our FAMILIAR BITE alewives

84736887.th.jpg

Filleted and split tail end.

72359940.th.jpg

Copper tied fillet to rig.

46323674.th.jpg

0048 PHOTO; Alewife Sushi Flies completed. NOTE: See Capt. Ernies notes below.

20103712.th.jpg

Capt. Ernies recomended brining of fileted strips. Always keep COLD!

For more detailed information conerning the Alewife Sushi Flies rig, pick up a Copy of the 2009 July Issue Great Lakes Angler Magazine. (Pg.22)

Capt. Ernies NOTE to photo 0048Alewife Sushi Flies completed;

Check out the attached series of "studio" shots...., in the 0048 photo, green fly is a baited fly with a standard Tournament(double hook) tie, with the treble trailing at the tip of the mylar. Hook setup on the Mirage fly is the best, with the leader extended between the beak hook and the treble, so the treble trails right at the end of the Familiar Bite bait strip.

Thank you Capt. Ernie.

Sincerely,

Walter Thompson

GLTS

Walt;

I just read the article Alewife Sushi Flys, July issue Great Lake Angler. " Meat and Mylar for His Majesty" That a very good read. I will be trying this technique Saturday and Sunday when I go hunt for " His Majesty".

How is this years harvest? is the FAMILIAR BITE as good as it was last year?

Also I will be placing another order soon.

Thanks for the fresh fish....lol Sure does beat the artificial stuff.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Called and talked to Walter today to place an order of the Familiar Bite- I'm an old in the wool cut bait guy, but have used the F.B. as well in the past. After checking the contents and size of the alewife in some of the kings we have taken recently, I have decided to try my hand at it-whole bait- again this coming weekend. To say Walter has went beyond the call of duty to fill my order is an understatement esp. since it was on short notice. This gentleman took plenty of his own time to make sure it happened and for that it is greatly appreciated. Anyone who conducts his business in this manner will surely get my repeat business as well in the future to come. Thanks Walter- Duane

Duane,

Really enjoyed meeting you all. Didn't seem to loose much travel time for you and the group. Hope you had a great weekend, it was a hot one in the sun.

Glad to help. Thanks for the appreciation - puts wind in our sails.

Walter Thompson

GLTS

Walter, you made a huge impression on the group I had with me this past weekend. They are all very experienced fishermen and were all impressed with your service and quality of the bait itself. They all said that they most definitely will be using your product and patronizing you in the future. Wish all customer service was as well to work with. :) -Again many thanks for making it happen.--Duane

• 1 year later...