how far off the ball

Jason and CB,

Talk about different ends of a spectrum, can not wait to see what the rest of the site says about spoons lengths and flasher lengths off the ball.

Your window is anywhere from 8' to 50' with spoons and 5' to 20' with flashers. Quit the spread.

I am no expert or trying to stir anything just want to see what the rest of the site runs. I run 10' with spoons, in the summer 25 - 30' in spring, and 5' with SD's.

This may answer some questions... :clap::clap:

Shade

thanks everyone been running what you said but just don't seem like we get the hits.

we get one or two one day and get the skunk most days.

we run the right stuff everyone that we talk to just don't know what i'm doing wrong.

thanks

everett

everett;

I use a Fishawk X-4 & for spoon programs I run 2.8 +/-.2 mph down speed, for flasher flys, I run 2.6 +/- .2 mph down speed. This is on lake Ontario for Kings, Steelies, & Coho's. Usually park my lowest rigger at 42 to 48 degrees F & put the rest of the set above that, use free sliders too!

I think you should bump up your down speed. The speed you are trolling < or = to 2 mph would be good for lakers or running cut bait. Your lures are probably not moving around enough.

Try running faster & let us know if it helps. We are fishing the same area, as I fish from Sodus to the Big Salmon River.

Good luck!

Last August when I fished Olcott/Wilson all our good Kings between 22-28 pounds came at either at 10 or 20 back the biggest fish 28 1/2 came at 8 back with spinny'sand fly's. 3.2 GPS was 2.8 at the ball, I don't have speed and temp but my buddy was out and he does and was working the same water so he let me know what was going on. We didn't get any good kings (just shakers and one 12 pounder) on spoons off riggers so can't say.

Spoons: 35 feet or longer

Dodger/Flies: 5-40 feet off the ball

I have run dodgers/flies and paddles/meat rigs 2-3 feet off the ball when fishing shallow in the late fall with success. Only problem is you have to let the rigger down very slowly so not to tangle with your main line or the rigger cable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with CBish on this one except that we frequently start our deep water flasher/fly leads at 10' off the ball and go from there. In shallow water we'll oftentimes stretch our spoon leads way back there, but only if we need to! You'll definitely want to try bumping that speed up a bit...2.2-2.8 is a good range for summer kings. Another big part of the equation is where you're fishing. If you're fishing an area and you're not marking any fish and have no temp, lead lengths aren't really going to matter much. You gotta find fish first, then worry about details like lead lengths & speed.

• 2 weeks later...

well bumped the down speed up 2.8 -3.2 down temps 42-54 got 2 kings on 10 and 12 .

pounders. 5 releases day 1

day 2 the sub troll stop working but still did 7 releases with 2 boated

18lbs and 12lbs but no squnks this time

thank all