19 strand trolling wire

Has anyone had any luck with the 19 strand wire? I know one guy that is having problems with it fraying/unraveling.

Please chime in if you are using it and what you think of it, please include how many days you have had it in the water.

Thanks,

CC

Hey Carl,

Last week I went up to Captains Cove and respooled all 4 of my dipsey rods with it. I will definetely let everyone know what I think once i get through the rest of the season with it but so far so good.

I tried a spool of it and was not that impressed. It does not kink as easy but still kinks. It is no better with the fleas. The only positive (over to the Malin 7 strand) I have found with it is the price. A lot cheaper.

I've been running it this year. I like it. It definitely doesn't kink easily, and the manufacturer states that if it does, you can pull out the kink and not lose any strength. It also doesn't seem to curl. It is really soft! Same diameter as others (.015). It is almost like working with mono. Flea issues seem about the same or only slightly better (though the manufacturer claims it is "Less prone to Spiny Water Fleas then 7 strand"). The only problem I have had was getting it off the spool and on to the reel! The manufacturer originally shipped the product on wide spools, and it was not wound tightly. I purchased 3 spools from Torpedo this spring. 1 went on without a hitch, the other 2 were a PITA! Because it wasn't wound tightly from the manufacturer, it would dig back in to itself and not come off the spool easily. I had to cut one of the lines and throw it away. I contacted Torpedo and they sent me another one (good customer service). I had a problem with that one as well, but got it on the reel without damage. They followed up with me, and I told them that I really like the product, but wouldn't recommend it until they addressed their spooling issues. A few weeks later they sent me an e-mail stating that they switched to a narrow spool, which solves the issues I had. I see that they now show the new packaging on their web-site.

I haven't used wire very long. I have 2 7-strand rods and 2 of the 19. For people new to wire, I think the 19 is easier to handle. I does not coil or curl up like the 7 when it is allowed to slack. It is not as stiff as 7 and other people can handle the setup that do not know that you should keep some tension on the wire to keep it from curling and kinking. I ran all 4 rods this weekend 2 days and didn't notice any difference in collecting fleas but I don't think the fleas were bad in Mexico Bay at all. I also noticed the dipsy w/ mag ring set on 2 or 3 hit bottom at 334 out when the boat was over 110 fow. I'll have to check the dipsy to make sure of the setting. I didn't have any problem with spooling other than the screwdriver melted into the spool without a washer between the two when using the tennis ball and bench vise.

i tried some about 4 years ago that i got from a industrial supplier it lookes the same as the stuff i saw at captians cove the other day i did wear it out in one season freyed at several places it was a soft 19 strand stainless just like the new applaction stuff you can buy now.my power pro dypsy rods have 7 year line on them and my 7 strand is on its 4th season other than missing a kink recently i havent broke the 7 strand yet ,,,,,,NOW NICK DID TRIPPING A DIPSY WITH ALL HIS STRENGTH.

CC,

I've been using it for about three weeks - I received the narrow spools. I haven't noticed any fraying yet, but it's too early to tell. Just like everyone says, it's easy to tie and the last 10-20' don't "curl" in the rod guides. I see that as the only advantage at this time. I wish it came in smoke color...

Time will tell if it holds up, but conceptually 19 "smaller" strands would fray easier vs. 7 larger strands....

- Chris

Same diameter as others (.015).

The American Fishing Wire in Camo is actually thinner. It is .012 inches in diameter. With the deep kings the thinner the better to achieve a greater depth faster.

Hey salmonhunter4 - are you using roller rods? I'm wondering if the 19-strand might be better suited for rollers than the 7-strand due to the friction standard rod guides may cause. I am using Talora roller rods and haven't noticed any fraying issues.

would not recommend it. Have had 3 spools of it and they all frayed and unraveled. Also have a friend who had same problem with two spools.

I just received 2 spools yesterday and now I am wondering if I should just send them back. I thought this stuff was supposed to be great. I don't have any real problems w/ the Malin and if I have to respool after losing tackle w/ this "new" stuff I might as well not bother putting it on.

I bought a spool , to try it out..........couldnt get all of it on my reel , before it started fraying :(

Once a strand broke it made a mess, on the last couple hundred feet. It fuzzed up like steel wool.

Thinking about contacting the manufacturer and see what they think. :shake:

sliderbite I did contact and they sent me a new spool and said I should have no problems with it. well it did the same thing. Like I said before I would not recomend it to anyone.

Well I have to set up another wire rod , got any recommendations for wire?

I mainly fish the Fingers.....I've got one spooled up with G-FLY line 20lb. wire (use it for my slide divers)

one with 25lb. wire from Mcmaster Carr.....but their prices doubled since last year and the one spooled

w/torpedo wire.

Check your guides before putting on the 19 strand wire. If you have a grove in your reel guide caused by other wire that is not as smooth as 19 strand, then change your reel guide or your guide will cause the wire to fray, same with line guides. When you are putting the wire onto your reel do not use your fingers to add pressure to get the wire on tighter or you will screw up your wire, apply pressure from the spool the wire is coming off, then go out on the lake and let all the wire out with a snap swivel and 2 oz weight on the end of the snap then reel the line back in. If you are using a twilli tip then make sure the thick wire from the twilli tip is not rubbing against the 19 strand wire. Put a 20 foot piece of 30 or 50lb mono between the wire and dipsy diver with an albright knot, a good idea the folks in Michigan are doing.

The guys in Canada have been using this wire for over a year with slide divers without any issues. If you treat the wire right it will be your friend but abuse it and you will pull your hair out.

If you treat the wire right it will be your friend but abuse it and you will pull your hair out.

wow.....this stuff sounds like nitroglycerin1.gif

LOL it's like everything I guess. I used to get frustrated with paint coming off my lures but now I spray them with krylon and now no more issues, that was another thing that caused me to pull my hair out, err nitroglycerin.

Carl,

You may want to talk to Randy from Reddog Charters or Ken from Off The Hook Charters in Rochester or even George from Goodtimes Sportfishing in Port Ontario. All have been running the wire for over one year without issues. If you wish I could give you a list of names that would fill this board of Captains that have been successfully running the 19 strand wire.

Call me anytime Carl it would be nice to talk to you for the first time, I field all calls for the Torpedo Products. 585-703-5247

Like anything this wire when handled properly is very effective and very enjoyable.

My apologies Carl if I hit a nerve when posting on how to handle the wire, call and I'm sure we can work out your wire issues.

Matthew