Surface Temp: 68

LAT/LONG: north of IBay

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 3

Total Boated: 3

Species Breakdown: 3 teenage kings

Hot Lure: DW modified carmel dolphin, kelly green spinny/green crinkle fly, Gator Spinny/Fly

Trolling Speed: 2.7 sog

Down Speed: 2.2-2.4 mph

Boat Depth: 130-150 fow

Lure Depth: rigger 80', 600' copper, wire diver #3, 280' out

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Planned on an evening trip with my brother, but he had a meeting so I went solo. The fishing was fantastic but I could only tolerate an hour b/c the black flies were the worst I've ever seen. I estimate I had 100-200 on my boat, biting my ankles the whole time. Deep woods Off was useless....

First hit right out of the chute on my 80' rigger with a DW modified carmel dolphin spoon. The rod was a mess so I dropped in a wire diver with a Kelly green Spinny/green fly and had my next fish about 15 minutes later. Then I pulled both the wire and other rigger and went "naked" with just a single copper down the chute b/c the flies were so bad. About 20 minutes later I had my third fish on a Gator Spinny/Fly.

They liked it a little faster tonight, around 2.4 mph at the ball and there was 52-54 degree water down about 80'. Lots of debris around 130-150' and that's where the fish were. The graph looked great, fish from 50' to the bottom.

It's really picking up again, I think it's going to be a fantastic weekend......if anyone has any ideas for the flies PLEASE let me know.

I met CDS Whip at Mayer's tonight - what a great guy and it's always great to put a "face" to a name!

Good luck to all,

- Chris

Thanks bud - honestly, I've got to do something, they were horrible tonight.

The good thing is, the bites don't really itch right now, they're just annoying on the water.

- Chris

I wear usually long pants, either sweats or frog toggs rain gear with since it's lighter than most raingear. It's a little warm, but the less exposed skin the less you feel the bite. I don't wear sandals when they are bad either. Usually sneaks and socks are also part of the uniform of the day when they are bad.

Chris,

Finally got out on the water for the first time last night. It was more figuring out than fishing last night but did manage the 1st king on the boat. It was more equipment malfunction than anything but we're slowing getting there and was happy my Dad got the first king and released for another day.

As far as the flies go, my Dad joked about dressing like the Gordon's fisherman. Flies would have a tough time biting through the rubber boots and you could drop a few lbs. sweating in the rubber suit at the same time. They were horrible anyway you slice it, even if they didn't bite you.

Btw, how long are you leads between the spinny and dipsey? Give me a call sometime.

John

Hi John,

Congrats on getting your new boat wet and your first king!!!!

I run 9'6" wire Dipsy rods, so it goes like this:

22-26" 40# mono between fly and Spinny and 7' 40# mono leader between flasher and Dipsy

Good luck John!!!

-Chris

Good post! Chris - you continue to reign the title as King of I Bay.

Black Flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :@

I went out with a buddy from 4:30 pm to 6 p.m. in between 90 and 120 FOW. Saw many marks in the top water column - they were so small as they had to be bait fish. No fish. Just ton of black flies.

I thought I didnt clean up the fish boxes properly after fishing on Sunday. I had to run home after fishing all morning and did not to clean up the boat. Now, Chris, you have just verified that the black flies are out there regardless of how dirty my fish boxes are.

I had a recurring nightmare last night with the army of black flies. My legs itchy yes. I think some of the black fly fangs are still stuck in my legs. :rofl:

I am more troubled about the black flies than me getting skunked. Im not sure if this is right mindset for any fisherman!

Anthony,

I think I might have saw you motor back in around 6 or so, just as I was coming out...

Immediately I started getting clobbered by the flies and I wondered if you were heading in b/c of the flies.... :D

We'll be at it tomorrow afternoon and both weekend days..

Good luck!

- Chris

Chris,

I had to get back home in time for a "dinner date" with my better half. Earlier, I had to beg her to let me go out fishing for a short time even after She has asked me to be home early and lay down by the pool side with ice cold drinks. Sounds good, but no, I wanted to hit the lake.

For a moment on the boat, I thought I was being punished by a force of nature for dissing my wife as the black flies stormed my boat. Even though I have a hard time to admit this, my better half is ALMOST ALWAYS RIGHT. This felt like as if my manhood was stripped away whenever I declared that I should listen to my wife. Will I learn from this experience? Probably not. ;)

Tight lines.

Anthony

Anthony,

We're doing fine here... Trysta is sleeping thru the night now and life is good, the next hurdle is Robyn going back to work in two weeks along with that ugly daycare word!

I plan on getting out Friday morning for a few hours... hopefully the flies don't carry all of the fish away!

I was out fishing with Rich (Just Fishin') on Saturday morning last weekend for a few hours and I can bet that he was wishing there were flies around to blame something on after I watched him dance around the back of the boat after someone yelled "Fish On!" and he proceeded to look at every rod and then grab the dipsey rod in front of him that was right next to the rigger rod that was straight up in the air pounding away.... needless to say that was like miss number 4 for the morning... and many new nicknames for our fellow LOU friend! I vowed not to bring this up, but he was begging for it earlier today...

Hans,

Glad to hear all is well with your family.

Ahh, our eyes must be trained over and over to pick the right rod that has the fish on. I take this is just a good example of why some boats marked their riggers with number one, number two and so on.

I went out to the bay yesterday and I can tell you that the black flies are GONE! I checked my fish box and they were NOT that dirty. I thought my boat was so dirty that it attracted ridiculous army of black flies. So, it was just the day of black flies last Tuesday.

heres a little reading enjoyment for the Ibay boys:

Spent 30 minutes around the Helds Cove and landed a nice sized bass. This fish made me bring my boat over and had to "tow" the fish out of the weeds. You know you have a good sized bass whenever the bass buries itself into the weeds. Couldnt find a scale so I put this fish back in safely to fight for another day.

32746331.jpg

Just when I am starting to get some street cred my guest crew turns on me!

The truth is, anybody can catch a fish when he has the loaded rod in his hand, it is the guy who grabs the wrong rod and ENTICES the fish onto the hook that is the real fisherman. I was merely leaving the thumping rod for the much slower and inexperienced crew to lamely reel in the defenseless, injured and hooked fish while I acted as the good host/captain and tried to facilitate a double.

It didn't work, Hans booted the fish while Tom sat there like Nancy Kerrigan, wounded from an attack. I should have gone solo.....

JF,

I feel for you as I have had my fair share of getting picked on by the guys on my boat.

As a captain, you would know by now that you could find out who is/are the best swimmer in your crew. :D Yes, its a long swim back to the dock in case you dont command respect from your crew. :lol:

All of this exchanges are pointing out to signs that we would do well fishing together sometimes soon!

Tight lines.