Got out for a short trip tonight after work. Fished 5:30-8:30 pm. Throttled down in 115 and found temp real deep so set rods and worked my way northeast from midway hamlin beach. Took first King at 241ft. on the 180 wire pulling a green/silver spinny and hammer fly that has been so hot for me this year. 2nd fish hit over 290ft. on the 60ft. rigger on a stingray NBK, this fish took me out to 400 ft. in a minute and spit the hook :@. Turned at 325 and headed southwest towards pump house to 230 and back north. Pulled the second fish at 300 on green and silver wire again and landed 25 minutes later..nice, slightly dark major. Turned at 330 after landing him and set the wire with a green glow atomik(hammer was hammered). Within 5 minutes we were into another major on that wire. Took poor newbie Matt out to 450! :D. From the time we hit this fish until the time he was in the boat I would land four smaller fish in the 5-10# range on the 80, 74 and 60 riggers armed with mag purple pounder, mag glow frog and mag NBK. One particularly po'd little king jumped at least 10 times!! Matt landed the major and we headed in at 8:30 7 for 8. Great night on the water and there was a tall ship out there too....."not that theres anything wrong with that" Few pics from phone. Tank

King37-28-09.jpg

King27-28-09.jpg

King7-28-09.jpg

Tank, we were right near you most of the night (24' Wellcraft) We did about the same (6 for 8), little more of a mix with a couple steelhead and a laker. Biggest going about 24 lbs, although it took almost 700' of wire. Did you notice the temp getting deeper the further east you went? We had temp down 80 for so by the nose but off the pump house it was down over 100. All our fish were on spin docs/flies, color didn't seem to make a difference. We stayed around 230 most of the night. That ship didn't seem to be moving to much with the lake of wind. One heck of a big boat though.

Keith

Nothin but Net

Tank,

Do you have your riggers on a gimbal mount? The reason I ask is I broke a plastic gunnel rodholder last night with a rigger in it for the first time. I was going to replace it anyway with an SS one but I was wondering by the looks of your picture how your Scottys work with a gimbal. Thanks.

Hey Keith, sweet night out there huh? Yeah, it was weird out there with the temps. Also, when I first got out there was a wicked current out of the Northwest that went away too. Good job! Yeah that ship was big! Bowbender, no I actually just have the swivel bases, fixed mount. Thanks Scott and Tangle factor! Tank

Tank nice job. I fished in the Am and was battling to get fish to take a bite at what I was offering did manage 4 fish nothing bigger than 13# or so, lost 3 others too :@ . That tall ship was out there when I was out in the morning too heading west really slow.

You said the current was outa the NW? I had my port side rigger ball cross over the starboard side once when heading on a south troll. It was wicked from east to west for me.

Lake looks a little nicer than when I was coming in at 1:30pm. Winds were all over the place all day SW nice chop then S calm then SW again for about 1/2 hr where it got a little bumpy then straight W at like 15mph.

I agree with temps they were goofy. 225 - 235 FOW was our best area.

Thanks Tom, yeah I setup on a northwest troll and keeping speed at 2.25 at the probe, I was almost completely idled down and my boat has a really low idle?? I decided to troll northeast at that point to make things easier. Weird stuff goin on that night? Tank

Hey Foster, yes it was pretty dark, the head was really black already. The one at bottom was starting to darken up too. Have you been fishing? Tank

Tank, good job and report. Gator the dark fish color is a sign the fish has been higher in the water column for feeding as well as first signs of staging. Predators and prey fish will each change color to aide in hunting or survival. The nice silvers have been in the deep cold water most of time and the darker ones are spending more time in warmer higher water. The larger fish are more tolerant of the warmer water and will usually be in it sooner than the others in preparation for the spawning run. It's a good clue that these fish are feeding out of temp and prowling the shallower water already. Just thought I'd pass that along to elaborate on your observation.