Striper & Blue Fishin' - Providence, Rhode Island

BlueEye

I've had several requests to post some pictures from my recent trip to Rhode Island to do some Blue Fish and Striper Fishing. Got to meet up with my old college room mate Adam and friends Ed and Mandy. I do not do very much salt water fishing so this whole experience was fairly new to me. The fishing was good all day long and we kept some for the grill later that night and to give to some of the locals back at the dock (who were very appreciative of the fish).

P1000360.jpg

The Stripped Bass were not very big on this day but a couple clever camera tricks helped to make our catch look more impressive ;)

P1000363.jpg

Opps.... I gave away the camera trick.... :lol:

P1000377.jpg

Ed and Mandy with a tasty catch

P1000382.jpg

Adam and Ed

P1000389.jpg

A good numbers catch at the end of the day even though we threw back twice this many unders (28")

P1000400.jpg

Notice the hose that attached right to the cooler so the captain could "bleed" the fish upon catch. Never seen a setup like that but it kept the cooler perfectly clean by constantly filling it up and pumping it out with water.

Overall it was a lot of fun and a lot of work. Reeling in 300-400 feet of wire with squid jigs and fish on the end of them was exhausting (at least for me... my buddies our in much better shape than I).

Our captain was Pirate Fred from Mill Time Charters. He had us on the fish all day long and did a great job.

Hey Mark –

It was a VERY different kind of fishing than I am use to. We would let out 300-400 feet of wire line with some 10â€-12†squid lure on the end. When we would get a hit, the rod would bend a bit and then you would simply crank in all that line with the fish on the end of it non-stop. Not once did any fish take out any drag!

I personally wouldn’t have minded catching half as many fish but on lighter tackle and adding a little more sport to the adventure. Yes, we did put fish in the boat but it felt more like commercial fishing than sport fishing. I was physically exhausted by the end of it all. It was fun but I have also caught stripers casting from the beach with an Evil Eye Heavy Caster on 10lb mono and they put more of a fight then the ones we caught on the charter.

Just my honest impression ;) It was fun and the stripers are great eating!

Mark and Chad wee gotta get a few of us togeather for the hudson spring run 12lb line med action rods and 20 plus strippers a day (long day if you dont take lunch with you) i wouldnt mention but it is a trip we all should have on our "BUCKET LIST" ive beed doing it for 12 years so i gotts a little insite how to get a few.

• 1 month later...

Great report Chad...thanks for sharing! A couple of us "LOU'ers" will be getting after the Stripers in the next couple weeks off the northern Jersey shore. It ain't salmon fishing, but it's fun none the less (sure beats catching lakers). Like you said...they are real good table fare :no: