Hot Lure: both on DW SS Steelie Dan

Trolling Speed: 2.4-2.7 sog

Down Speed: 2.0-2.5 mph

Boat Depth: 130-200 fow

Lure Depth: rigger 125' with free slider

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Other than my first salmon with my dad, today was by far my best experience on the lake. I took the biggest king of my life tonight - 27.2#, but what made it special is:

1.) I was fishing solo

2.) My dad passed away last year and I was fishing right over the waypoint where we dropped a small urn with his ashes last year.

3.) I caught it on a free slider

I realize this fish isn't a 30 or 40#'er, and to some it's just another "27" pounder, but to me it was a memory of a lifetime, especially under the circumstances

I started out running 600' of copper and one wire diver, 290', both Spinnys/Flys but no takers for about an hour and a half. There was a fantastic scum line around 160' or so and that's where the fish were. As soon as I changed to a rigger program, that's when the fish hit. The scum line was loaded with bait, marks and great temp. I would have followed it, but there was a pleasure cruiser following the same line - go figure - so I had to make north/south passes through it. I had a steelie within 10 seconds of my first pass through the scum on the Steelie Dan free slider. A half hour later on my final pass through the line, the king hit.

It took me 30 minutes to land the large king and I didn't realize it was on the precarious free slider until about 30' from the boat. It peeled of 450' of mono and at first I wondered if I had a log or a bag. It was peeling so fast I thought the line was going to melt! Nonetheless, I finally boated it after some extremely sloppy net work and about 10 misses with the net (thank goodness the fish was spent at the back of the boat). I couldn't even lift it in at first b/c my arms were gumbied.

The fish will be headed to the wall in my office......

Good luck to all,

- Chris

49981348.th.jpg

33414415.th.jpg

Great report Criss and good job keep up the good work and I look forward to meeting you one of these times

I hope to get out this weekend

Chris, good job and thanks for sharing that report- That is a beautiful king- May it bless your walls for years to come- I'm sure that your dad would be very proud of you.- Best of luck to you as well-Duane

Chris,

I am very moved by your amazing post. The king is not only caught by your hook but with your heart and you will have a great story to share about the king and memory about your Dad.

Congratulations :clap: and Godspeed.

Nice post :clap: I know the feeling of "gumbyed arms" and the several attempts with the net, boat moving and pole in one hand the net dragging in the water resistance and the weight of a very impressive king :yes: Very well done ;)

Mark

Chris, congrats on a beautiful fish and spiritual experience! :yes: As the saying goes "it doesn't get any better than that" Thanks for sharing!

Shawn

Chris,

Great thoughts.. I can totally relate as I acquired my dad's old boat after he passed away 3 1/2 years ago and think about the old times everytime I'm out... they're looking down from above and smiling.... no doubt...

• 2 weeks later...

Congrat's!!! Having fished by myself quite often, I can only imagine the words out of your month when you saw that baby for the first time....... OH #$@%^&!!!!!!!! You're my hero for the day!!!!! Dad's always have a way of being with you.

Dion