Otter Boards

I have the Otters and they are great. Never had them dive in 3 years, even when fishing in close and in breaking waves. They are super buoyant and the water runs right off them. Once in awhile it will speed up on the back side of a wave and put a little pressure on the lines, but not even enough to cause a release. I really love them and would never go back.

I have the Otters and they are great. If they do dive, you need to adjust the string on the side. The only problem I have with them is trolling slow. They bow the plainer line big time and sometimes turn in.

I would give the otter boats another vote, we use them exclusively for our copper rigs since we do not fish anything but Salmon, never a problem, we will run 2 copper sections off one side at times with the otter boats and they are way off to the side of the boat compared to the little boards which tend to run back of the boat.

I run a otter off one side and a regular planer board off the other.Only reason for this is as soon as I lose my last planer board Ill replace it with a otter.Ive had this setup for years so Ive had a great comparson. Overall I think I catch more fish off the otter it seems to slow down and speed up when you get the draw strings adjusted right.Ive never dove the otterboard.I have had the front drawstring break and had the otter scoot around the back of the boat and get into the other planerboard.[mother of all tangleups]The tow angle of the otterboards is very crucial. Get it just right and they will just scoot almost pass the boat sometimes. Get it wrong and they turn in at slow speeds drag in hard or trail back from the boat.I dont remember what the proper angle length is but I spent a afternoon trial and error getting mine just right 1/4 inch adjustments make a hell of a difference. Also you need a ring or something to catch the releices on the end of your towline so they dont slide down to the otterboat angular towlines . Yea I think the otters are worth it they are just some messing around to get them tracking right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben;

I ran my new Big Jon Otter Boats with the 5'2" mast mounted on the bow of my 23' Saturday & Sunday. Both boards out to max with the line that comes with the mast. Boards were tracking forward of the stern!! PERFECT, did not drag behind the boat. As for the Otter Boats they do handle rough water well. We were out Sunday (I-Bay) and the wind kicked up pretty good mid to late afternoon. No problems, Except for the boat that was not paying attention and ran me into the shore line, We had to scream to get there attention, both guys were looking to the stearn. Boards did not dive in rough water.

Well worth the $$$$