Catch and release?

I notice that most guys on here are filling their box. I find it interesting since I have not kept a fish in years and release everything. Am I the only one not interested in taking anything home?

My experience is that most of the guys I know don't keep fish. We tend to practice "catch and float" instead...an unfortunate byproduct of bringing fish up from the depths into warm water, combined with the damage to their slime coat and the sometimes inelegant "nose flop" release technique, whereby the fish, conquered and still, suddenly comes alive during attempts to gently return him to the water, initiating the "salmonid launch".

Generally we find that belly up fish have a tough time swimming...

Seriously, though, I think most of the guys who are at it every weekend would have a tough time getting rid of all the fish they catch (obviously, we ourselves don't have that particular problem, but I've heard about it from others). That, plus the stinky fish guts that somehow end up polluting a dumpster at the local 7-eleven, which makes for good friends and neighbors, especially in the 85F heat.

We do try to release our fish as best possible, maybe keep half a dozen coho for the smoker once a year (apologies to the guys at 7-eleven), but I'm sure that the mortality rate is high on released fish. Gambler tells me that the guys on Spoonpullers are doing a tagging study and that lots of released salmon have been recaught already; I'll be interesting to see what the final numbers are.

Bottom line is: Thank God they're a renewable resource!

Gator

We release most of the fish we catch but always keep a couple for eating. Usually theres always a couple that probably won't make it if released. We fish most every weekend and I really don't have a need to keep all that fish. If I was limited to a few trips a season that would be a different story and I would probably be shooting for a box full when I went out. Bottom line is keep what you need, as long as it's within the legal limits, and release the rest. Our philosophy is nothing wrong with keeping fish as long as they are not being wasted.

Great post Gator. LMAO

Glen

I'm 100% C&R. Every fish I've caught this year has swum away, and a couple took some real work to revive. However, I don't begrudge anyone for keeping their legal limit. (Go over that limit and it'll be a different story...)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

We normally release the majority of our fish, though we do keep some. In my report from yesterday, we boxed our 9 simply because this was likley the only time my buddy and his son that I took out will get out this year and they wanted some fish for the smoker/grill/freezer ect.

I honestly don't know what anyone could possibly do with it all if they filled the box with these fish every time they went out. Especially those of us that are out almost every weekend.

Tim

We also practice C&R but sometimes they just will not survive so we keep those and we do eat what we keep. We have a friend who smokes the Salmon and we do the trout on the grill. When you see reports from Charters in most cases they keep what they catch because thats what their clients pay for. Derbys' is a whole other story.

Shade

Same here....we C&R most days and keep them on tournament days and when friends join us that want to take them home. Hey...If everyone released them all the alewive population would be decimated!! Think about it....

I do have an issue with people keeping one year olds though. I know they are good eating, but only 600,000+ were stocked in the spring of 08. I had a buddy get mad last trip cause I made him throw 2 little guys back (even though he had 6 matures in the cooler)...."they're the best eating" he says. Too bad....long as I'm Capitan they get released!!!

on this subject. do any of you use some sort of holding device when releasing them? Ive never used one but have seen some that look like tongs. Getting back into it this year ive had to keep more fish than i would have cause reviving a 20pnd + fish over the side of the boat isnt the easiest thing to do.

I catch and release. My Uncle Bill however will keep fish and feed half of South Livonia with them. He is a member of the Local chapter of the Conesus VFW. Them old timers LOVE fresh fish and the price is right also, FREE.. as long as they are begin consumed and not ending up at the local dumpster keep all you want..

Feed a family that is in need, cudos to you.

Mark

We release alot of our fish but do keep a bunch for the smoker and for family and friends. We try to release alot of them ecspecially in the spring when the water is cold through out the column and the fish are not all that deep. We keep more this time of year, ecspecially if they come on the copper becuase of having to bring them up through the warm water and fighting them so much longer. Just had a conversation with Del the other day about this and am wondering what your thoughts are, Do you think the majority of released fish survive after being pulled up from 85+ feet, out of say 48 degree water up through water that my reach 70 degrees, and then being put back into the warm water? Not trying to steal the thread just think that this fits in.

C&E for salmon and browns

C&R for stealhead and lakers

C&K for lamprey

C, curse &R for sheepshead

On the fall rivers, I keep a limit of salmon which works out to about 15% of what I catch.

I have no shortage of friends looking for salmon to eat. The reports I get back range from "that was great fish" to "that was the best salmon I have ever eaten". It doesn't seem to matter whether the fish is a silver spring king or a dark spawner, people love them.

If your boat is close enuf to the water to reach the fish DONT use a net if your gonna release it just hand line the last few few feet and unhook in or above the water it is a easy methood of releasing fish and you dont have to "wave"the net bringing boat seeking fishermen in your spot. and if you think those belly up fish dont survive just spin the boat around after the fish has had a min or two to rest and poke it with your finger and have a free shower (tailsplash). no we dont normally see fish swimming on their back but after a fight for thier life they will lay there for a few minutes getting there wind back (or their imatating my buffy fishing gitting a little sun where the sun dont shine on normal people). bringing a laker from the depths too fast and a full air blatter will require some gentle wet hands "burping "from the headfirst to tail to help relive some gas or they will be permanate floaters. Try running a 100 dash then hold your breath, thats the main reason i dont bring the fish in the boat for pics . And sorry Rod after all the money and time spent to get a good 8 lb eater thats the size that will be visiting Corning . Fishing is fun but after being gone for 2 to 8 days of fishing if i come home empty handed the wiffy might think im doing more than suntanning on the boat.

I am wondering how many of you see a dead floating trout or salmon on a regular basis. I am not trying to be smart but I see very very few. I have gone back and picked up a few releases that just didn't look like they would make it. Wire/copper fish are my biggest challenge, that and not losing my tackle or my blood to fish released at the side of the boat.

Tree top - no it’s not the easiest thing to do. Have a good grip on that area just ahead of the tail & keep away from its mouth & gills. Keep him headed in the direction the boat is going. It may take a minute or so.

Grey Fox – Their odds at survival are much better than if they’re thrown in the cooler. But realistically, I believe they survive, they’re hardier than we think. Some people say they don’t survive, but then they never show pictures of carcasses to support it. Also fish have been known to come up from 39 F into that warm water just for lunch.

Jekyll – I also release lampreys. For every one I catch, I release 3 (pieces)

Ray - I think he was more refering to the 1-3 Lb'rs.

Chowder – I generally troll between 15-17 miles when I can get out & over the years, I’ve seen very few floating game fish out there.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom I never use the net on any of these 36 " 12ish lb steelie included .... I know,I know I never bring in boat for photo but i was alone and stan wanted pics. but that steelie can in so fast and green i took photo see no scales missing and it dont look it but i wet the floor before laying it there. I think the buffy suit has a calming effect on the fish.(they close their eyes) :lol:viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12352

Gray Fox- There was an interesting article in In-Fisherman last year about "deep" salmon, and how much they would move in the water column during a given period. I looked for the article but could not find it. I do remember being amazed at what I read but can't remember the exact numbers. Anyways they talked about salmon in the great lakes that were over 200 feet down and would come up and move back down. They weren't talking about 10 or 20 feet they mentioned fish moving up 100 feet and then back down in a matter of minutes. I wish I could find the article, if any one does please let me know.

I practice mostly catch and release, last year I believe I kept four salmon and fished at least 25 days for them. I love catching them and I love seeing them swim away. The next generation will have enough problems, I don't want to see lack of salmon on the list.

Charter Captains- Thank you for all of the information that you have given me over the past two years. I know that I have gotten better at this game because of this website and all of the useful information. People pay you hard earned money to go out and consistently catch fish and EAT FISH! It isn't an easy job. I have nothing against you filling boxes for your clients and belief if you didn't, you would be searching for a different job.

One last thought: I heard and belief that there is natural reproduction happening on the lake(Kings). I believe it is on the Salmon and Credit. What about the other tributaries that are too warm for reproduction. I fish 4 and 12 mile creek ( small streams that get above 80 degrees in the summer) and have been ridiculed for keeping fish on these streams. Other fisherman have said that I am "hurting the fishery", because these fish will not be able to reproduce. I thought that anything that is born in these streams will die because of the high temps and lack of oxygen. What is the difference if I catch that fish in the stream or in the lake when they are staging? Just looking for opinions and information.

Thanks jeb, We release alot of our fish anyways. I dont see many floating around the lake either. I was just curious as to what people thought on the subject. I know that after throwing some back that floated as soon as we get back to them there gone, like I said we throw alot of fish back, just wondering what people thought.

I've found, like others...Kings seldom float and tend to head straight down. Steelies tend to dive, but pop back up in a minute or two...then after a couple of minutes one big tail slap and they are gone. Lakers I try to keep off my lines...but when I get one I burp them and try to tail them a minute or two next to the boat. Some Lakers just seem toasted, but most eventually dive, though not with the haste the Kings do.

Just saw this...catch and release 99% of the time on my boat, unless weighing a fish for a derby or someone wants one fish, or the fish dies. I probably keep 4-5 fish per year. Tank

We keep a lot of what we catch and eat pretty much none of it.

We give all of it to our friends and family. Then again, we aren't so good at the catching fish thing, so we don't take too much yearly :)

Also, Rod mentioned not keeping young fish, but I thought I remembered an article that stated it was actually better for the fishery to keep the young fish (less stress on food supply) and release the larger fish (so they can reproduce). Any merit to that?

Personally, if you're on my boat and want to keep fish, as long as they're legal... go ahead. If you want to release every single fish... go ahead. To each their own.

Oh and I tend to see quite a few salmon floating each year, especially in the middle of the summer. I'm surprised by how many people say they never see any.

Nick