scales... What do you guys use?

Been looking for a scale. Should i go with one of those fancy grip lip ones or should i just go old fashion and stick with a spring scale. What do you guys use. I know its really not a really important part of fishing but i would like to know what some of these matures weigh. I just always guess :lol:

Dont lip weigh them, just unfair to the fish. Weigh the fish in the net, release, then subtract the weight of the net. Berkeley offers an IGFA certifiable scale at half the price of the boga. The jaws are wicked but if just weighing a net full of fish, who cares!

Jeff

un fair to the fish ............... wack em over the head first ,,,,,if you want exact accuracy their is one that my brother has on his site that pro bike riders use to weigh various items for their weight trimming efforts ... its a nice scale and ive been using for over a year and it holds up well for boat bouncing atmospheres too..not promoting because its my brothers site its just a nice product and if something works for me i always post here if i think it can help one of us on the water http://www.notubes.com ray.

I have a love/hate relationship with scales; well, mostly hate. Last season, I sent 2 scales to Davy Jones' locker because they proved unreliable or difficult to use. One was a Rapala and the other may have been a Berkley. I have a different style Berkly this season that is still an air breather, so far.....

Seems the scales are always light. Fish seem to loose about 10% of thier body wieght on the scales. That never seems to happen when I step on the scales.

I will say the X tools scale has proven itself to be exactly 3 oz light on every fish regardless of how big the fish 4 pounder or 12 pounder, so at least I can accuratly weigh fish. I fish around 5-10 walleye tourney's per year on Erie and when I go to the scales after weighing every fish I'm going to the scales with if I add 3 oz per fish I am right on. The last two tourney's I was dead on exact and same with the big fish of the tourney...3 oz to light at least I know what my fish go with my scale though after figureing this out, when I weigh the same fish twice it's always within a .2 window, I weighed one 5 times, 3 of the 5 it was the same and made sure slime wasn't dripping off too so the fish wasn't loosing anything. Hey when you fish against 150 boats every .1 counts.

Dont lip weigh them, just unfair to the fish. Weigh the fish in the net, release, then subtract the weight of the net. Berkeley offers an IGFA certifiable scale at half the price of the boga. The jaws are wicked but if just weighing a net full of fish, who cares!

Jeff

I used to do this but had to stop. What I used to do is after I netted the fish and took half his slime coat off in the net, I would then rip out all four hook points from the tournament tie that was all stuck in his face with a pair of pliers and then weigh him in the net and release.

Had to stop doing this because one afternoon I poked my wifes eye out with the 10 foot long net handle that was flying around through the air with a meaner than usual 25 lb king in the bag. Poor girls eye was hanging down on her cheek and I had used all the antiseptic up on the fish. Man was she pissed. Didn't get any for a month. ;)

Now I just lip weigh them and if they complain I'll fillet em.

Sorry I didn't fish this weekend :(

Happy fishing

Glen

I use a Stren Scale and it has been really accurate. The 2 lakers we weighed in during the summer LOC were 1oz. off on my Stren scale from the LOC scales. I don't weigh fish unless they are going in the cooler. Boga Grips and scales are not good for fish going back in the lake. There is a good read on handling pike in the DEC handbook. You should support the belly off all fish going to be released. If pike and larger trout are held by the Boga or by the gills straight up and down, all the organs shift to the bottom of the fish causing internal injuries to the organs and spine.

How do they get all these fish out of those holes in the ice without causing internal and spinal injuries?

What happens to all those Bass that are removed from the water and handled completely by the bottom jaw then released.

When a fish comes vertically out of the water like a rocket does this injure them?

Glen